EMR-L Archives

Electronic Medical Record - Enid

emr-l@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
"Osburn, Gene (HSC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Electronic Medical Record - Enid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:52:47 -0600
I realized I had not put this on the ListServ, thus the reply is here and not to your original message.

Yes, The initial upfront cost of MySQL is less than MSSQL. But there are trade offs.

 To me right now the major trade off has to do with Merge Replicaton.MSSQL has it now. MySQL does not.

 That means with the MSSQL you currently have installed, I can set up the server and your laptops so that you can go to the hospital or a nursing home and record encounter data while disconnected from your network. After you reconnect to the network all others on the network have access to all patient data no matter where seen. You can also see data other providers entered while you were disconnected. Maybe someday but at present MySQL does not support this functionally.

 I am looking at the feasibilty of using the MSSQL server as a Merge Replication to maintain a centeralized core master database of the entire practice's data and using the less expensive MySQL on laptops and maybe even clinics.

 I know also there has been some question as to whether the HIPAA police would allow this type of setup to exist. I have seen several of the currently successful Office EMR venders advertise they have such an offline merge capability function and that is one of the reasons you should buy their solution instead of one from those who do not support such an functionality.

Interesting problems. Still, we first need to get your own office running in an acceptable fashion. Then we can ponder questions about what such a foundation it allows us to build on. BTW, have you heard of any seccessful cloning of old geezers yet. It would help.

Bill, I will have to wait until I hear from my Recrecation Director to answer your question about next Wed. My wife gets off work this afternoon and I can find out then. I took off for a week beginning Tuesday and do not yet know my schedule for that week. I have been promising for a couple years I would take a week off and finally scheduled it for the week beginning Mar 9. I will let you know as I learn more details.

Gene

I take it that you tecnogeeks are talking about a less expensive option to the SQL set up that we went with?  Seems I remember bits and pieces of this conversation...

J.Michael Pontious MD
Professor-Family Medicine
Program Director-OU/Enid Family Medicine

"Great spirits have always encountered violent resistance from mediocre minds" - Einstein

This electronic message transmission contains information from J.M.Pontious MD which may be confidential or privileged.  The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you received this electronic transmission in error, please notify me immediately by electronic mail.