HABITAT-L Archives

habitat-l

HABITAT-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
OU Habitat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
habitat-l <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:16:53 -0500
Hello,

I'd like to welcome all of you who recently joined our mailing list.  We have many exciting events planned this school year, and I want to run briefly through them all so you can have an idea of how Habitat works and what we are doing.

First, Habitat for Humanity's goal is to eliminate poverty housing, and OU Habitat's goal is specifically aimed at the Norman area.  This year, our project is called OUr House.  OUr House is a home for a family in need that is built completely by OU students and student organizations.  The entire house is also funded by the money we OU students raise, and for this year, we need to raise thirty thousand dollars.  It sounds like a lot, but with your help, it is certainly possible.  Campus chapters across the country have proven that it can be done.  Now it's OUr turn.

So, how does it work?  OU Habitat takes student organizations and pairs students together to form student groups.  So, if you are by yourself, get ready to meet some new people and be placed in a student team.  Each organization or team helps us raise 500 dollars before the build.  Sounds like too much?  Well, Game-day-paint-cans, one of our fundraisers, usually makes about 200 dollars an hour.  So, it can be done.  In fact, Habitat is setting up the fundraisers; so all your group needs to do is provide the manpower and have fun.  Then, in the spring semester, we will let all the student organizations and groups that helped us build on OUr House.  What is really neat about this project is that you fundraise for the part of the house that you are going to build.  Each group contributes to every stage of helping a family in need!

So, what are the events for this semester?

1.  SHACK-A-THON, September 25-26.  Your student organization or student team gets to construct a shack out of garbage and stay in it overnight.  Essentially, you partipate in creating a shanty town on the South Oval!  This event is designed to both raise awareness about poverty housing and raise money for OUr House.  Passersby can vote for their favorite shacks by giving donations, but there is an intersting twist.  Like penny wars, there is also a donation jar for vote negations.  Let the Shack rivalries begin!  At the end of the event there will be prizes for many different categories, such as most money raised, most votes, sturdiest shack, and, maybe even the least sturdiest shack.  It's going to be a lot of fun and a good opportunity for you to get in a student group or to get your organization involved early.  There will be Shack-a-thon information meeting Monday, September 22, 7 pm, in the Regents Room of the Union, which happens to be on the third floor.  If you canno
 t make the meeting but still want to participate, e-mail us at [log in to unmask] and we will get you in a group or sign-up your organization.  Feel free to form a group of friends as well.

2.  Trick-or-Change:  On Halloween we will go trick-or-treating for donations!  This will be a great opportunity to dress up and perhaps even score some candy.  To find out more, come to our informational meeting October 2, Thursday, 7pm, Sooner Room, Union.  If you cannot make the meeting, simply e-mail us at [log in to unmask]

3.  November Bail-Out:  Community leaders, University leaders, Athletes, and Student leaders akk have a chance to go to jail and actually be bailed out!  Start looking early for someone to represent your group in jail.  Bail-out will be discussed in more detail at our meeting October 2, as mentioned earlier, and in subsequent meetings.

4.  Game-day Paintcans:  Your student group or organization solicits cars at intersections for donations (very much like the firefighters).  This is a great event to make a lot of money really fast, and don't worry, we don't stop anybody from missing the game.  BOOMER SOONER.  The paint-can events will be at every home game.  There will be one this Saturday for the UCLA game.  If you're interested in participating this Saturday morning before the UCLA game, we need to have a copy of your
driver's license on file.  You must drop a copy off in Box 225 by the UOSA offices in the Union, by Friday at 3pm, at the latest. Also, please send an email to [log in to unmask] saying how many will be there, so we will have a rough idea. We will be soliciting donations from cars at various Norman intersections; we will meet at 8:30 at Cleveland County Habitat for Humanity to get assignments; you should be done between noon and 1pm, so you can get to the game.  Directions to Cleveland County Habitat: 1835
Industrial Blvd.  Take Flood North past Robinson; the first street on your right
will be Lexington, take a right onto it.  Take an immediate left onto
Industrial, and you should see Habitat clearly marked on the right side of the street.

If this appeals to you, e-mail us at [log in to unmask]  Again, there will be a paint-can event before every home game this semester.

Naturally, other events will crop-up along the way, and there will be several more during the Spring, such as Habi-Fest, a week-long event of activities, celebrated by all campus chapters nation wide!  Our e-mails will notify you of all upcoming activities and meetings.  This is the first time the OU Chapter of Habitat has attempted anything like this, but we know that with your help, there will be one less family living in poverty by the end of the school year.

Sincerely,

Nathan Corbett, OU Chapter President

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers