PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Peter Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:00:52 -0500
Hi everyone. I'm a PW alum now working as the managing editor of the FRIDAY newspaper in NW OKC. If you've never heard of it, its the community paper for The Village, Nichols Hills, all the country clubs and private schools.
The joys of having my job is you get tons of press releases. Here's one I thought I'd share since everyone on this list could benefit from it. OKC Writers meets this coming Saturday at OCU. If anything, it's a decent way to meet other writers in the city.

-Peter

So Many Ideas...Which Genre?
by Teresa McAfee

    Alma Blair’s eleven novels in several genres give her a taut edge
in Writing Genre Fiction, the Saturday, September 17 presentation for
Oklahoma City Writers, Inc. (OCWI). Mysteries, romances, and westerns
are her specialties. She is going to contrast the three genres, and
demonstrate the difference in plotting.  She will have handouts.

    Seduced by the love of writing early, she continued to write and
enter contests through out her school years. A commercial art degree
from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford led to a
successful career operating photography studios in Cleveland, Pawhuska,
and Bartlesville and restoring old photographs. It was while she was in
Bartlesville that she commuted to a writing class in Tulsa given by
Jack Bickham.
    “My love of fiction crystallized in that course,” she affirms.
    Blair was married to attorney and author, Clifford Blair. When
Clifford Blair unexpectedly died, she finished his latest book in the
Peacemaker series as a final tribute to him. Additional research
material found in his files led her to write and publish two more
novels in the series, all under Clifford Blair’s name.
    OCWI meets on the Oklahoma City University campus in the Meinders
School of Business located on McKinley Avenue between NW 25th and 27th
Streets, one block east and one block north of the campus visitors’
center. Visitors are welcome. Enjoy a cup of coffee at 9:30 am in the
student center on your right as you come in the entry before the
meeting begins at 10:00 am. For more information, view
www.toogroagency.com/ocwi or contact president Carolyn Leonard at