From:
Aliza Dichter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aliza Dichter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:11:28 -0400
lo siento que es solo en ingles

(attachment is pasted as text below)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "poets.and.writers f" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: June 9, 2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: journalists-writers held; kept in 68 hours of illegal custody
>
> Dear Sir,
> This for your notice. Four writers, two of them senior journalists,
> along with two CPI (Maoist) leaders, were arrested by Andhra Pradesh
> police at Aurangabad (Maharashtra - India) on May 31 and kept in 68
> hours of illegal custody. One of the two doesn't have pancreas and
> lives on artificial insuline. He was denied insulin for 68 hours,
> causing abnormal raise in sugar levels. They were blindfolded and
> Details are giving in the attachment. Please take up the issue at
> necessary fora.
>
> Regards
> friends
>

> Condemn conspiracy to silence  people’s voices in Andhra Pradesh Oppose Conspiracy cases against writers and activists Writing is no conspiracy            hAndhra Pradesh police barged into Maharashtra to             arrest four eminent writers, journalists, and two              Maoist leaders, violating State’s jurisdiction   hBlindfolded and hands tied, they were kept in 68 hours     of illegal custody           hThe six, including one writer-journalist who lives on             artificial insulin and a heart patient, were denied             medical care for two days           hFascist Government hatching ‘Conspiracy case’ against             writers discussing peace process with Maoist leaders     STOP PRESS: Senior journalist-writer N Venugopal taken to   four days of police custody. Democrats and rights activists worry   he might be implicated in false cases and subjected to physical   and mental torture. Sixteen hours after the Chief Minister,   Dr Y S Rajasekhara Reddy assured journalist unions that   the Government would not oppose the bail petition of four writers,   the police chose to oppose the petition
  he Andhra Pradesh police have arrested four VIRASAM (Revolutionary Writers’ Association - Andhra Pradesh) leaders and two CPI (Maoist) leaders in an MTDC guesthouse at Aurangabad (Maharashtra) on May 30 at 8.30 p.m. About 15 policemen raided the room and blindfolded the six immediately. Though the raid was conducted by Maharashtra police, they were handed over to Special Intelligence Bureau (SIB) of Andhra Pradesh police within two hours. They were taken to Nizamabad district headquarters in Andhra Pradesh. They were kept in 68 hours of illegal custody, blindfolded and hands tied with rope all along. Though they were not physically tortured, they were put to severe mental torture by this inhuman and illegal act and interrogation.     The DIG of police presented them as if they were lifeless things to the media at 3.45 p.m. on June 2 in his office at Nizamabad. He told reporters that the six were arrested on the outskirts of Nizamabad while they moved suspiciously. He said they were trying to escape into the Nallamala forest to put into action the “conspiracy plan they hatched in the Aurangabad guesthouse against the legally formed State”.    Interestingly, Nallamala forest is nowhere near Nizamabad. Nizamabad, a north Telangana district bordering Maharashtra, is far away from Nallamala. Even a child can tell that Nizamabad is not the route to reach Nallamala forest.     The six were again kept in police custody till 12.30 p.m. on June 3 and were produced in Magistrate court in Bodhan in the district. The magistrate remanded them to judicial custody in District Jail in Nizamabad till next hearing slated for June 17. They were remanded under Sections covering criminal conspiracy and waging war against the State.    More heinously on June 6 police have asked the court to handover N Venugopal, a senior journalist and writer, along with Ganti Prasadam and Surender, both CPI (Maoist) leaders, to police custody for 10 days for further interrogation and to search the places of meetings and visits as if they are conspirators.      Let us begin with the profiles of the six accused to understand better the real conspiracy hatched against democratic values and natural justice.    One of the six men were V Chenchaiah, 55, is a lecturer in Jawahar Bharathi Degree College, Kavali, for the last 30 years. Incidentally, Virasam founder member and renowned critic late KVR also taught at the same college. A true student of KVR, Chenchaiah followed his legacy and had been working in the revolutionary literary movement. He served Virasam as its General Secretary for six years and edited ‘Aruna Thara’, the monthly magazine of Virasam for years. Presently, he is the Vice-President of the organisation. An established literary critic in Telugu, he published a collection of articles — Sahitya Drukpatham’ in 2000. He, along with N Venugopal (a co-accused in the conspiracy case), edits the annual literary criticism produced by Virasam members.     2) The second accused in the case is Pinakapani. The 35-year-old writer-poet-critic is currently the editor of Aruna Thara. He served as General Secretary of Virasam for two consecutive terms, totaling four years. He penned an outstanding novel based on the Vempenta massacre, where several Dalits were burnt alive. The novel, Nippula Vaagu (A Stream of Fire), is a landmark in Telugu literature in that it portrayed the socio-economic conditions and State violence. He also published two long poems — one on the need for unity of Dalit and Revolutionary forces (Kalisi Paadalsina Paata) and the other on American imperialism (White Houselo Nidrabhangam — A nightmare for White House).      Besides writing several short stories, he wrote literary criticism with the penname ‘Dharani’ in Aruna Thara.         Also, he is a social activist and addressed several public meetings condemning State violence.        3) S Ravi Kumar (29) is the manager of ‘Aruna Thara’. He is a poet, singer and cultural activist. A noted cultural organiser, he was instrumental in forming broad anti-communal cultural united fronts in his native Cuddapah district in the aftermath of Gujarat genocide.         4) The fourth accused is N Venugopal (40) is a multi-faceted intellectual, poet, critic, columnist and a well-acclaimed commentator on socio, economic and cultural issues. He is one of the early, consistent and strong opponents of World Bank and IMF policies in Andhra Pradesh. Besides writings hundreds of articles, he toured extensively in the State to lay bare the anti-people nature of the World Bank policies.       He is an Executive Committee member of Virasam. He edits a socio-economic fortnightly ‘Veekshanam’. Well-known intellectuals like A B K Prasad and V Hanumantha Rao are among the founding members of this magazine.        He is a well-known journalist with a standing of 25 years in the field. In his career, he worked for Srjana (a literary magazine), Andhra Patrika, Economic Times and Indian Express.       One of his works included ‘Ammakaniki Andhra Pradesh’ (Andhra Pradesh on Sale — 1999), a commentary on anti-people LPG policies implemented by the then Chandrababu Naidu Government, the book was a huge success and went to press several times.      His other works included, Samachara Samrajyavaadam (Cultural Imperialism - 1992), Kallola Kaalamlo Medhavulu (Intellectuals in the time of turbulence), Paan’vuram (Poetry collection) and Katha Sandharbham (criticism on Telugu fiction).     He translated several popular Chinese, Russian and African works into Telugu. The long list of translations included Maa Katha (1983), Udaya Geetika (The Song of Youth - Chinese - Yang Mo - 1985), Railu Badi (1989), Mao Kavithalu (1993), Cheekati Paata (with his companion C Vanaja - 1985), Anamakudu (1993) and Pedda Manushulu (Man of the People - Chinhua Achebe -1996).     5) Ganti Prasadam @ Prabhakar (56) is a State Committee member of CPI (Maoist) and also its Media Spokesman. He edits ‘Kranthi’, its official organ on behalf of the State Committee. He is in the revolutionary movement for more than three decades.     6) Y Surender @ Sudersan (42) is a District Secretary level cadre. He is in the movement for the last 14 years.      The four leading members of Virasam met the CPI (Maoist) mediaspokesperson and his associate to discuss the peace talks that were scuttled by the Andhra Pradesh Government after the first phase under the World Bank pressure. They, as writers and social activists, conveyed to the CPI (Maoist) about the democratic aspirations of people and their demand for meaningful peace by continuing the peace talks. The Government, which is quite vocal in reiterating that it is committed to peace talks, has chosen to implicate them in a conspiracy case instead of trying to know the minds of the writers and CPI (Maoist) about the peace process and social change. It shows the Government’s double standards. The Government itself welcomed the leadership of CPI (Maoist) and CPI (ML - Janashakti) from underground in October 2004 and held talks for four days, treating them as government guests. The same Government, which did not say that it has opted out from peace talks, implicated the Revolutionary writers in conspiracy case when they tried to discuss about the peace, democracy and the revolutionary movement.    Conspiracy cases are not new to Virasam. Its members have long been facing such cases for the last 30 years. Secunderabad conspiracy case, Rajahmundry conspiracy case, Chittoor conspiracy case and Ramnagar conspiracy case were some examples where Virasam members were implicated. And all of them were acquitted by the trial courts. The State never succeeded in branding and proving the revolutionary cultural movement as conspiracy.    But what about the illegal arrests, mental torture and days, weeks, months and years of confinement in prison walls denying freedom to the freedom-loving writers.    Hence I appeal to the democratic minded people, writers cultural activists and intellectuals to impress upon the AP Government to withdraw cases against the Virasam members along with the two CPI (Maoist) leaders and release them unconditionally forthwith.     Hyderabad,                                                                                     Yours Sincerely, 6.6.2005                                                                                                                    Varavara Rao