From:
Lisa McLaughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:30:35 -0400
Hi everyone,

I was a participant in this conference, and having been there and
with all due to respect to Ralf Bendrath, I think that this piece
takes a few issues/comments out of context and shouldn't necessarily
be taken as *the* description of what went on at Incommunicado 05. I
doubt that Ralf intended it to be more than an opinion piece of
sorts. Usually, I share a great deal in common with him (and Heinrich
Boll Foundation) in terms of opinion, but I think that more light
could be shed on this conference (in reference to the entire article,
which is not printed below but is at the web site listed). For
example, there is a quote from me in which I am said to question the
extent to which there is diversity in the WGIG, followed by an
admonishment from APC's Anriette Esterhuysen about some of us
focusing too much on process--who gets to speak--rather than on the
content of what is said. Although I did mention that only one-eighth
of the WGIG is comprised of women, my main point was that there had
been a diversity in issues of concern during the first phase and,
now, many had become marginalized by phase 2's emphasis on internet
governance and financing mechanisms only. I specifically mentioned
that community radio had become even more side-lined as an issue than
it was before. This piece makes it sound as though I was making
reference to some particularly simple issue of identity politics when
I was referring to diversity of concerns and perspectives. One of my
main points was that, after drafting a Civil Society Declaration,
many members of CS proceeded to catch a bad case of historical
amnesia about having done so and, in order to stay in the game as it
were, many CS members followed the government agenda laid out in the
official declaration and plan of action.

On the issue of communication rights, Sally Burch did indeed do a
great job of responding to criticisms of CRIS and the emphasis on
communication rights. This is especially notable given that she was
asked to do so at the last minute. She's always stunningly smart and
fantastic at keeping her composure. However, in fairness, the
academics that were present were asking questions about and
deconstructing the notion of "communication rights" in a manner that
has been done by CRIS members in the past as well. They simply were
not aware that CRIS members had been self-reflective about this and
had asked similar questions in the past--and that they continue to do
so. One major issue that CRIS is aware of, I think: the language of
human rights is available to all stakeholders and all make use of it.
The question is how does CRIS distinguish itself from the notion of
human rights as it is defined by, for example, the International
Chamber of Commerce/CCBI.

Speaking of academics, it seems unfair to paint a picture of a bunch
of Northern academics lecturing a bunch of NGO workers and
campaigners who are doing the real work "on the ground." First of
all, it's become a bit wearying to hear the refrain that being an
educator and researcher is not real work. Second, among those of is
who were academic participants, most of us had been working at the
various WSIS prepcoms, practicing participatory research and
activism. Third, there were far more NGO personnel and campaigners at
the conference than academics--that was something that was wanted by
the organizers--and the line between the two is not nearly so neat as
implied in the article. The main exception was the session on
"info-rights" during which CRIS was criticized. Other than that, any
one session tended not to include more than one or two academics out
of 5-8 speakers. Fourth, it is just possible that learning is a
shared experience and that NGO personnel who attended might have been
introduced to some new ideas or practical applications by academics,
even while we learned from these attendees. One of the greatest
differences that I observed is that many (not all) NGO
representatives (along with several government representatives) were
more likely to embrace an agenda in which public-private partnerships
were taken as inevitable while more academics were critical of
co-optation by neo-liberal orthodoxies. Perhaps this says more about
the fact that academics may enjoy greater independence and privilege
in terms of speaking our minds--once tenured especially, we don't
have to worry so much about having an organization that "goes out of
business" unless it engages in private sector donor-driven campaigns.
But, in any event, my main point is that it seems to me that things
at Incommunicado 05 were far more complicated than what is expressed
in Ralf's article.

Sorry to belabor issues around this conference, but I've seen this
article posted on other lists as well, as it should be, and I think
that it shouldn't be taken as the definitive evaluation of what
occurred at an event that was created to go against the grain of the
usual academic conference and that was far more inclusive than most
conferences or summits.

Thanks,

Lisa