From:
Gabi Hadl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gabi Hadl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:38:29 +0900
(Solo en inglés. Alguien podría por favor traducir? Obrigada. Points 1-2 are
important to translate, the rest not essential at this point.)
----------------------
Dear Alfonso, (and dear Clemencia, Liza and all OurMedia-ists),

 thank you all for a great experience in PoA and greetings to all of you!
The business (in order of importance):

1. RE: submitting proposals for hosting OurMedia
When is the deadline? How will the decision be made by the steering
committee? I aggree that Clemenica's draft with questions is a bit scary and
1st worldish, but it's definetly a starting point. Clearly, not all
questions need to be answered at this point, but it's good to have a
catalogue.
 Questions for Clemencia and Liza:
- how much time by how many people is required?
Would it be feasable to have a local team and a transnational team with
well-defined responsibilities? If yes, how many people putting in how much
time?
- what are the biggest budget factors?

2. RE: holding OurMedia in Asia (FYI)
There is a small working group of people that formed in PoA - we're checking
the options. I have contacted Myun-jung Kim at MediACT in Korea, (awaiting
his response). I have also identified a potential local organizer in Taiwan.
IAMCR organizers have signalled support and cooperation in terms of
infrastructure and info-swap (space, hotels, travel agents, cultural events,
etc.). I'm working on putting a proposal for Taiwan together. I cannot be on
the conference organizing team, but I am willing to identify/confirm a team
on the ground and do the basic infrastructure-check. We also started a
discussion on holding a parallel smaller conference in South America with a
videoconferencing (?) connection to the main event. Luciana Fleischman
mentioned she would like to help organize that on the ground, and Juan
Salzaar offered technical assistance.

-----------------------
3. RE: tying up with an academic conference
Alfonso Gumuncio, you are not in favor of connecting OurMedia with IAMCR or
ICA. I think however, that it is good to to connect OurMedia with another
international communication event. It can be it an academic conference,
activist meeting or political conference/convergence.
The reasons:
- funding: if there are 2 differently billed events, there are more options
to apply for travel grants.
( We found at the final meeting in PoA that about a third of the people at
the conference got funding to come because of IAMCR. I wonder if there were
also people who could attend IAMCR because they also attended OurMedia. I
remember Aliza adding that those indirectly helped pay for many others who
self-financed. Is that right?)
- time/money/energy: activist-researchers don't have to chose between two
conferences. I do not think many of us, even 'northern academics' (to use
your word), have the resources to attend much more than one conference in a
faraway place per year.
- cooperation with the other conference/event possible in time, space,
information and promotion.  (We have not used this possibility much in the
past but we should try. Would recommend having a person who can act as a
liaison between the conference organizers.)

We could send a simple, multi-lingual questionnaire to our members to find
out about this point. However, it seems like finding a place/group of people
to organize the conference AT ALL will be enough of a challenge...

4. RE: instiutional support & holding it in the US
It is really generous and wonderful of John Downing to come forward with the
offer of institutional support through SIU- I think we should pick him up on
it. As for holding the conference in the US: I agree with you, Alfonso
Gumunicio, that that is fraught with ideological problems.

- Asia-Pacific members of the UN Beijing+10 women's conference are opposing
next year's NY location on ideological grounds (I can FW the petition).
- Practically, there's the visa problem.
- Economically, why support the US with our money?
- Besides, NY needs another alternative media event like it needs another
statue of liberty (=not at all!). There are already plenty. OurMedia
empowers the local/regional networks. Let's go where that is needed-- if we
can.

 The reason things are easy is often because that's where the hegemonic
pipelines are running. I was much inspired by the story of Brazilian
indymedia getting serious about de-centralization and holding a meeting in a
far-flung rural area.

Still, it's a pointless discussion if John D's proposal may turns out to be
the strongest or the only option.  It's up to us to create feasable
alternatives. As Berthold Brecht said- "First the feeding, then morality!"
;-)

Best,

Gabriele

Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto