Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
This listserv will be used to facilitate communication among alternative media academics <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Lisa McLaughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:39:15 -0400
Hi Gabi,

We seem to agree on great deal actually.

You asked me to clarify what I wrote below in respect to acquiescent
leaders. Some members of the CSB certainly fall into this category.
People like Bertrand, I believe, would rather be in a governmental
delegation--or perhaps he is just trying to drum up customers for his
consulting business. But, what I mostly referred to here was the fact
that the Civil Society Secretariat of WSIS Phase 1, Alain Clerc and
Louise Lassonde were hired hands who did all sorts of things without
consulting with plenary, perhaps the most egregious being the
creation of "the families" and their initial invitation to only
certain individuals to consult on such things. This was no bottom-up
process. And, now, as I understand it, CONGO has received quite a lot
of money to provide CS leadership of sorts. CONGO may have been one
of the worst choices available because the entire existence of this
organization of NGOs depends on their maintaining a wonderful
relationship with the UN. Although I appreciate the hard work that
Rik P. does, he's simply not capable of taking an oppositional stance
that would truly make a difference because he is too much of an
insider and loves the UN too much. As a result, there is no way in
which he can represent a left-progressive organization such as Union
for Democratic Communications.

Regards,
Lisa

--
Lisa McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mass Communication & Women's Studies

Mass Communication
Williams Hall
Miami University-Ohio
Oxford, OH 45056