From:
Vickram Crishna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vickram Crishna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:53:07 +0530
Ouch! - the list of cc's was too long for SoftHome, which
automatically restricts multiple mail recipients to avoid spammer
abuse. I suspect that many people must be getting double posted - I
have removed all those I think are on the OM list - apologies if I
have now gone and deleted someone who should be getting this mail.
May I suggest that those not already on the OM list please include
themselves, so that we avoid such a situation? Further mails on this
subject need only go to the OM list then.

At 11:20 PM -0700 9/26/04, arul aram wrote:
>Hi all,
>I talked to Joshva regarding hosting OurMedia5 meeting in Bangalore
>(south India).

Bangalore is a great place for such a conference, with the weather
usually much easier to handle than Chennai. Chennai/Pondicherry
remain doable for a field trip, about 12 hours by bus I think, if the
conference chooses to base itself in Bangalore. MSSRF is a well
established center for communications development, and is
spearheading a national move for village level connectivity (600k
villages, most of which lack working phones currently).

I am in Mumbai, which hosted the last WSF. It is India's commercial
capital, and is technically better equipped to handle large and small
conferences. There are several well reputed colleges dealing with
Mass Communication as a degree subject, though only two that I know
of with a strong developmental focus (rather than commercial).

I cannot personally do much about sounding out academia for a
fortnight, as I will be assisting at another conference across the
country. As part of our (Radiophony - http://www.radiophony.com)
effort to develop wireless communication models, we have pioneered
here the use of low cost wireless comm for handling simultaneous
translation - we will be doing this for an international conference
with many delegates from Latin America, with simultaneous English,
Hindi and Spanish being used (we first did this at the ASF in
Hyderabad, which is where Vinod lives).

We are now working on a low cost broadband version of this solution,
which will substantially enhance the quality of interactive
communications during conferences.

--
Vickram