From:
Kate Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:43:54 -0700
Greetings,

I'd like to second some of Sasha's comments.  I really like the idea of
linking with some of the global convergences.

The World Social Forum in 2005 seems to be again in Porto Alegre.  And
searching online it seems the two areas considering proposing to host
in 2006, so far as I could find, were Vancouver, Canada and Egypt.
2007 there is a commitment for the WSF to be held somewhere in Africa,
and it seems like South Africa is a leading contender for that meeting.
http://www.nigd.org/wsf/1082377354/index_html

Thus, as Sasha suggests, perhaps 2005 would best be held in conjunction
with the WSIS in Tunisia.  It is a place which certainly limits access
for some, but for others who might be saving resources to attend the
WSIS, holding OM V alongside could allow for attendance in both.
Further, especially considering the critiques of WSIS in Geneva
regarding the lack of cohesion among community media makers and
activists (ie, the fact that many community media folks 'inside' did
not know of the We Seize counter convergence and polymedia lab and vice
versa), holding a communication conference just prior could prove quite
significant and useful.  Further,  a polymedia lab created for OM could
have even greater value with an extended life during WSIS, and build on
its strengths.

If it is determined that would not be feasible, the second suggestion I
am drawn to is to link up with a regional Social Forum to create a
communication themed event.  This would serve the purpose of OM being
able to make its decision on what region we should meet without the
pressure of matching with prexisting events, ie the expressed desire to
meet in Asia.  Anyone know where 2005 regional forums being held?

My personal caveat:  My thoughts come from someone who was unable to
attend this year's OURMedia who had been planning on going.  I would
say my travel plans fit under the category of someone with limited
funds to travel far and wide, but for whom OURMedia is a priority
conference to attend.  I couldn't come this year due to a last minute
teaching commitment.  I could have made the trip were it closer or
somewhere cheaper to travel to, but I fully respect the fact that for
OURMedia to fullfill it's vision, it needs to go places which may make
it so that each of us don't get to go each time, but that others who
could only go when it is on their continent, have access, even if on a
rotating basis.

Anyhow, my two pence to add to the conversation, which I am happy to
see taking place!

kc

--- Sasha Costanza-Chock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all, and thanks for getting this discussion moving.
>
> I'd like to suggest that in considering locations and also existing
> networks with which to link, we think more broadly than the limited
> selection of purely academic conferences. For example, other
> promising
> possibilities of events for OURmedia to meet alongside/within could
> include:
>
> -The World Social Forum process - not Porto Alegre again, but the
> next
> WSF, or one of the regional / thematic social forums. In fact, we
> might
> suggest that it's high time there was a thematic social forum on
> communication, and play an organizing role within that.
>
> -The WSIS process. It might be quite valuable for OURmedia to meet
> alongside and/or within the WSIS II meeting in Tunisia.
>
> -The next WTO ministerial. It would be quite interesting for OURmedia
> meet just days before the WTO ministerial, because there will
> certainly
> be a variety of alternative fora organized by NGO networks, as well
> as
> by independent media activists.
>
> Just some ideas.
>
> sc