PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Deborah Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:21:27 -0500
Greetings to all you PW folks!
I had a productive, if hardworking, sabbatical last semester and am now back on campus, ready to encourage you to set up our first meeting of the semester.  We have many new faces to welcome.  I hope to get their names entered into our subscriber lists soon.

September 27 will be JMC Jumpstart day, where new students come by the college to get acquainted, pick up information on organizations, and learn more about their majors.  I'm asking for a few of you to volunteer to either man our PWA table to answer questions and chat about PW in general, or can someone artistic make us a poster or some flyers, something to indicate that we exist and are a fun group?  Even if we glue a few book dust jackets to some foamcore board and stand it upright, we'll at least make our presence known.

The 27th is a Wednesday, and the time will run from 1-5 p.m.  Check with Heather Spencer in Student Services for more information.  Whatever you can fit into your schedule will be terrific.  No one expects you to sit at a table ALL AFTERNOON.  (You could be writing instead.)  Or you can write your great American novel at the PWA table and look authorial and remote and mysterious, if you choose.

I guess most of you are aware from Will's previous announcement that we've been granted a lounge for our use.  It's in Copeland Hall on the 2nd floor, to the right of the elevator.  We need to thinking about what kind of book/writing decor we want to set up in there.  I think we might want to consider an informal lending library to share books with each other whenever we get the urge to clean out our bookshelves occasionally.  There are plenty of bookshelves in the room, I understand.  We don't have to have our meetings in there.  It's just a place to hang out if you need a refuge on campus.

Anyone have any publications or submissions to report?  Anyone have any good reads to recommend?

Regards,
DC

Deborah Chester
John Crain Presidential Professor
Professional Writing
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019-2051
Ph: (405) 325-4192