PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
William Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:24:39 -0700
Joshua is right. We do need to decide what we want on
the website.

This is prime fodder for our next meeting, preferably
next week.

Personally, I would like to see us create a PWA
website that attracts traffic. To me, that means a
forum or message board (which would then alleviate the
need to clutter everyone's e-mail accounts), blogs, a
section on the history of our program, etc.

As writing students, we should find a way to create
content that makes our site worthwhile to visit.
Perhaps we could aggregate content from the web on
various craft issues, track book publishing industry
news, post student work... the possibilities are
endless, we just need to have a meeting and make some
progress.

Regarding whether to take Josh's offer or use
university hosting... I am not even sure that it
should be an either/or situation. We can have a
official unversity hosted site, and then, especially
if there are censorship problems, we can have an
outside site as well.

Best,

Will

--- Kent Graham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
  Joshua Whitmore wrote:At one point intime I was in
charge, with a few other people, of the PWA
website.There never seemed to be a great interest in
the site, so after about 9months of inactivity, it was
taken down. If there really is interest inreviving the
website, I don't mind setting up a simple homepage
andforums and hosting it on some web space I already
haveSuccess in a website depends greatly on the
availability andwillingness of someone to build and
maintain it.  It's great for Joshto volunteer, but
he'll for sure need help of all of us to
supplycontent.

As for the hosting:  Josh, did you and the others
explore having thePWA site as a part of the greater
Gaylord site?  At this moment, the"Student Groups"
section offers links to the PRSSA and the Ad
Clubwebsites -- both of which are hosted on Buddy's
servers.  And there'san old and sadly dead link to
Vicky Woodward's turn-of-the-century "PWANewsletter."
I don't think there's any reason to go spend money on
adomain name registration and hosting fees, if all we
need is right hereat home.  Buddy could probably even
help get an "alias"  URL  thatwould help members get
to the site more easily than going the the JMCfront
door.

Something to think about.

~kent

William D. Prescott