OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:24:55 -0700
-- [log in to unmask] wrote:

> We did poetry for two voices at parent meetings with
> parent and child and also with adult to adult.  It
> is always wonderful.  The part where the adults
> were unknown to each other was great. Ât In Lawton
we
> have such an international group that it opened up
> cultural and geographical differences right away.
>  There was a great deal of laughter.  One gal came
> from a middle Eastern country and the marriage had
> been arranged.  That all came out in the poem.
>  She stopped after the session and chatted with me.
>  I asked how the arranged part had worked out and
> she just indicated com ci com sa (spelling?)  I
> knew there was a lot more to that story but then
> that is why teaching writing is always so
> fascinating. Everyone has a story if you can just
> create a safe environment for them to write.
>

> I'm doing the parent session for our Young Author's
> Conference in Lawton this Saturday at Central Junior
> High and I know the parent writings will be
> illuminating and fun.
>
> This is the 25th +year for the Young Author
> Conference in Lawton and I am so proud to have been
> part of this all these years.  We now have some
> parents at the session who were students at the
> conference all those years ago!
>
> Lillian Johnson OWP'81!

Lillian--

This is so interesting.  I'm sending it out over the
OWP listserv so other teachers can read about it.
This is such a great workshop.   Please let me know
numbers or parents and number of hours so I can count
it on our NWP report this fall.

Is anyone else doing anything special with parents?
That''s a whole other area we can consider including
in our presentations.

Anyone who wants to write an e-mail to the whole
listserv, just type in
[log in to unmask] in the "To" spot and everyone will
get it.

To reply to everyone and not just the writer, type
[log in to unmask] in the To: section of your e-mail
then I won't need to decide whether to forward it to
everyone else.

Janis

.

=== message truncated ===