From:
Rachel Morley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rachel Morley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:15:06 +1100
Global Media Journal Australia: First issue launched

Dear colleagues and contributors,

It is our pleasure to announce the launch of Global Media Journal - Australian Edition (GMJ/AU). Our first issue is now available online at http://stc.uws.edu.au/gmjau/index.html <https://email.ad.uws.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://stc.uws.edu.au/gmjau/index.html>  .

We would like to take this opportunity to thank our contributors and the members of our Advisory Team for their involvement with this first edition.

Volume 1, Issue 1 and Issue 2 (due later this year) are both based on the OURMedia 6 conference, which was co-hosted by the University of Western Sydney in April 2007 under the theme 'Sustainable Futures: Roles and Challenges for Community, Alternative and Citizens' Media in the 21st Century'.

The articles and commentaries featured in Volume 1, Issue 1 include:

*
        'Grassroots Media: Establishing Priorities for the Years Ahead' by John Downing
*
        'Citizen Journalism and the Rise of "Mass Self-Communication": Reporting the London Bombings' by Stuart Allan
*
        'Sustaining the Democratic Medium: Philanthropy and Community Radio in Australia' by Saba ElGhul-Bebawi
*
        ''The Power and the Passion: A Study of Australian Community Broadcasting Audiences 2004-2007' by Michael Meadows, Susan Forde, Jacqui Ewart, Kerrie Foxwell

And:

*
        'Telling Tales: The Absence of Drama on Australian Community Television' by Leo Berkeley
*
        'Community Cultural Development in the Australian Context' by Liliana E. Correa

GMJ/AU also includes an extensive Book Review section with titles covering a broad range of media and communications related themes.

Editorial Statement

Part of the Global Media Journal international network, GMJ/AU is dedicated to communications research and scholarship with a particular focus on the Australian local/global nexus. To this effect, the journal boasts an outstanding Advisory Board with national and international representation across many media fields. We also have a strong Editorial Committee based in the School of Communication Arts at the University of Western Sydney.

Over the coming years, we see GMJ/AU addressing a wide number of Australia media issues relating to a range of topics from media policy formations and media practices to developments in the digital media arena with relation to both local and global communities. Beyond global media lie a myriad of new communication practices and new communities of interest re-forming and re-setting the media compass. With these issues in mind, GMJ/AU intends to showcase multiple perspectives on contemporary media.

Submission Guidelines

GMJ/AU encourages national and international media scholars, media professionals, and graduate students to submit scholarly articles, critical essays, graduate research results, book reviews, and opinion pieces related to global communication.

Please note the journal is peer-reviewed. Contributions submitted to the 'Articles' section will go through a peer-review process and will be reviewed by academics working in relevant fields. Other submissions (invited papers, essays and commentaries) will be reviewed by the GMJ guest editor and managing editor prior to publication. Please see http://stc.uws.edu.au/gmjau/submissions.html <https://email.ad.uws.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://stc.uws.edu.au/gmjau/submissions.html>  for further information.

Rachel Morley
Editorial Assistant, Global Media Journal Australian Edition
School of Communication Arts
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith South DC