OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Leah Esker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leah Esker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:59:55 -0500
Hi. I am curious about everyone's thoughts about this the changes in this year's OCCT writing prompts. My 8th graders are really struggling, even my more advanced writers. They can do it, but they still need lots of scaffolding. They are not able to tackle these prompts independently enough to make me feel comfortable going into Wednesday and Thursday.

I have heard that the practice prompt and sample essay in the 8th grade PTSG is more difficult than the English II EOI sample essay. I have not researched this myself, but it would be an interesting analysis for a grad student in English Ed.

The scores are bound to go way down this year. I can already envision the headlines! If other 5th and 8th grade teachers and parents are feeling the same way as I am, wouldn't it be great if we could educate the public somehow *before* the results come out. I don't really know where to start. I just know that this test is keeping me awake at night. My 5th grade son is really discouraged and my 8th grade students, who have shown amazing writing growth this year, are losing confidence with each state prompt they see.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Leah Esker
OWP TC, Class of 2000
8th Grade English