From:
Ellie Rennie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellie Rennie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:50:52 +1100
Did you all get this? If so, sorry for cross-posting.
From my observation (I have visited twice), Mediact are an immaculate
model of screen industry governance, outcomes and principles. There is
no basis to give the contract to anyone else.
I am seriously underwhelmed and unconvinced by this response. But how
to respond? Should we all respond?
Ellie

Dr Ellie Rennie
Research Fellow
Institute for Social Research
ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation
+61 3 9214 5303
0404 808 900

>>> 영화진흥위원회<[log in to unmask]> 2/4/2010 4:34 PM >>>

Dear members of international film/media community,

Regard to the recent change of the operating team for KOFIC’s Media
Center, we respect and appreciate your opinions on it. We, KOFIC would
humbly like to explain the fact and situation on this subject to help
your understandings.

KOFIC established the Media Center in 2002 under the consultation with
independent filmmakers in Korea, in the purpose to support them with
better facilities and education of its usages. We consider that our
former operating team has executed well and have highly performed to
manage our Media Center into a superior level over the past years. Since
the establishment of the center, our policy to appoint the operating
team was to continue the contract between us and the designated agent.
Although we have maintained this policy, the contract was to be renewed
annually.

However, becoming of 2009, the Korean government (Ministry of Culture &
Tourism) had considered contracting with the same agent (or team) for
many years without any assessment is not a fair policy for other agents
in the industry. Therefore KOFIC was advised to consider the change of
system into a public offering so that any group or agent can apply for
the operation of the Media Center. We saw this would be more fair policy
for the filmmakers. And as the contracted term for our former group has
ended as of December 31, 2009, we have opened a public offering to find
the managing team for our Media Center. Through an impartial, fair
process, the assessment for the applied members has been held, and
followed by its result a new agent became the operating team for our
Media Center for one year (2010). We believe that our process has been
fair enough for all the applicants and it is true that we did not close
down the Center nor dismissed the staffs. We understand that this change
might seem abrupt decision in the international community but it is
certain fact that it was a long time process and KOFIC has been
discussing this matter with the film community inside Korea.

We sincerely hope you to understand the situation and we assure you
that KOFIC will continue to do our best to support our independent
filmmakers and media communication industry people as we have always
done so. However, we will listen carefully of your concerns and would
work hard to avoid any troubles that might appear cause of our new
changes. Once again, we appreciate your opinion on our issue and hope
you to keep having attention to our works.
Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

CHO Hee-moon,
Chairman