Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:47:59 +0900
Dear Ourmedia friends,

I'm working on a project on media and climate change right now, and even at
this early stage, I can see the outcome - climate change/global warming is
at best, a non-issue in online news. This is, I am looking for a word....
Horrifying.

Climate change is arguably the core issue to affect us all, in a major way,
and soon, according to the latest data.  All the other issues we care about,
justice, rights, equality, democracy, sustainable development, etc. will
soon become intractable if we do not act now. According to the world's top
climate scientists, we may be passing tipping points within the next few
years after which efforts to mitigate will become largely ineffective. It
turns out that the +2C limit sought (and not obtained) in climate
negotiations is "actually a recipe for global climate disasters".

I encourage you all who make media big or small to urgently highlight
climate change. Whatever organisation you work with, please encourage them
to make climate change one of their big action priorities.

Currently, the big underreported news is that there is a pipeline to be
built from Alberta (Canada) to Texas. If it is built, it will be "game over
for the climate" as James Hansen, one of the world's top climate scientists
put it. Obama could stop it, and there is currently a campaign to push him
into this direction, with a major sit-in, including many seniors and
scientists, to start on Aug 20.

Below, some resources

* http://www.tarsandsaction.org/press/

* http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/climate-change

* http://ipsnews.net/climate_change/index.asp

We'll need all the hands on deck. All the best,