From:
"Milan, Stefania" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milan, Stefania
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:20:43 -0700
Dear OURMedia community

I would like to draw your attention to a brand new piece of software that a brilliant recent graduate of the Central European University, Kohei Watanabe, has designed in order to collect data for his thesis entitled "Dynamics of international news enviroment. A comparative analysis of online news services in the US and India" - by the way, his results might be of interest to some of you... he found out that, despite internet allows for much more media diversity, the South is still rather underrepresented in Western media but.. also in Southern media!

Kohei, a skilled programmer, has designed this software for quantitative analysis and decided to share it with the research community. It is an open source software made available for free through Kohei's website. Please read the description of the software below. I am sure it is of interest to some of you!
PS: Kohei is looking for a PhD oppurtunity. He can be contacted at watanabe.kohei[at]gmail.com

International News Map (http://pluri.info/news/) visualizes daily news coverage by satellite TV
stations, newspapers and news agencies all over the world. About 500 international news are
collected every day and categorized according to the geographic news coverage. Not only the
visualization, but also raw data is available on the websibe. The categorization is achieved based
on the 'word-score' technique of text analysis and fully automatized.

I wish to thank Kohei for sharing the software with all of us!

Best, Stefania

Stefania Milan, PhD
Citizen Lab || Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto || http://citizenlab.org ||
European University Institute || www.protestsurvey.eu/ ||
Center for Media and Communication Studies, Central European University || www.cmcs.ceu.hu ||
International Association for Media and Communication Research - International Council member and ESN Co-Chair || www.iamcr.org ||
mobile: [36] 3064 - 70445 (Hungary)|| [+39] 333 - 2309945 (Italy)
http://stefaniamilan.net/