Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 00:56:47 +0900
Context on the World Summit of the Information Society (WSIS)

Brief Intro: http://www.wsis-cs.org/wsis-intro.html
Updates and documents : http://www.worldsummit2005.org/
Civil Society Self-organized structures:
http://www.wsis-cs.org/caucuses.html

Hello OURMedia Friends,

The oppression of civil society in the WSIS host country may be disturbing
(see "Letter Annan" postings), but what is worse, the UN allows this
government to sabotage the barely emerging global governance structures.
This summit was supposed to be a new step in UN-civil society relations. It
has been turned into a farce. At the recent preparatory meeting (prepcom3)
in Geneva, civil society groups faced surveillance and disruption by people
sponsored by the summit host government. Most civil society groups continue
their work privately and informally, but this is not the democratic,
participatory and transparent process we worked so hard towords in the last
2 years. If prepcom3 is any indication, 'global civil society' is slipping
back into social Darwinism- only the very toughest, best-funded and most
experienced NGO people can survive. We can only hope they transport a bit of
the grassroots voices.

The struggle of the host government against its critics has basically taken
over this ³world² summit (at least the civil society space). It has brought
its authoritarian surveillance and disruption techniques to the Palace des
Nations in Geneva. This situation is an embarrassment for the UN (asif they
needed any more!). Unfortunately, the UN is the only place a lot of us can
turn to for support of our rights and claims. The WSIS should have been an
opportunity to create better structures to bring our issues there. We came
to create alternatives -- but seems many of us (at CRIS, community media
working group, etc.) got so busy protesting and resisting, we could not move
forward much.

But maybe we can at least learn some lessons from this. E.g. don¹t be
naively open and inclusive to un=civil society people, don¹t offer
democratic spaces for undemocratic practices, no microphones for people who
shout, no-one should speak who can't listen and: we should keep working on
our own agenda (instead of putting most of our energy into critizing
'theirs.')

Sorry to sound so glum. If anyone has better news/views, please share them.
And I hope you are faring better in your work.

Best to all of you,
Gabi