From:
Ellie Rennie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellie Rennie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 12:00:21 +1000
Hi everyone,
As this debate seems to be getting fairly intricate (and long), can I suggest that we move it to the logistics list?
If anyone would like to subscribe to the logistics list - which was established to discuss organisational matters - please email me or Clemencia and we will add you.
A few people have dropped off this main list lately. We should try to keep it for announcements etc. so we don't lose more.
Cheers,
Ellie.

Dr Ellie Rennie
Research Fellow
Institute for Social Research
ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation
+61 3 9214 5303
0404 808 900
>>> Elvira Truglia <[log in to unmask]> 16/05/07 5:45 AM >>>
Dear Arne & Wilna,

Thanks for providing more information about your respective proposals.

Wilna - I didn't mean for my suggestion to sound too 'rationale' -- it would
be ideal to have consensus but how do we achieve that? The reason I
suggested the proposal/criteria-based kind of process is because in the past
there has been some critique about the transparency of the decision-making
process related to where the next conference would take place. And, one of
the suggestions made to address this concern was to send out a call for
proposals with criteria for organizing an OM conference. My suggestion now
to perhaps submit mini-proposals takes up that idea again. I do realize that
organizing an OM conference is a labour of love (hence my reference to
"passionate") and therefore a rational process may not seem to capture some
of the subjective aspects of where to organize what, when, etc.....But
again, it's up to us (as a network) to make suggestions ....any other ideas
are more than welcome.

There was a conference planning working group set up in Sydney....I assume
they are also discussing these process-related questions -- it would be
great to hear from someone in that group....

Arne - it sounds like you're saying that there is a definite window of
opportunity for organizing the next OM conference in 2008 but not
necessarily so in later years. At the same time, you say that you regard
Budapast as a "Plan B" to Ghana....does that mean that you will come forward
with a proposal only if Ghana decides the timing is no longer right for next
year? Or, are you saying that you don't want to hold the conference in
Budapest next year at all costs and would support Ghana if that's the way
the network decides to go?

And, what about the proposal for Athens -- any more information from the
person who made the proposal?

Finally, should we still be discussion this on the general list or will the
working group come to the network when there is more info.?

Elvira