From:
Falk Schlegel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:49:43 +0100
Dear Colleagues!

Attached and in this mail you will find a press release by the German Association of Free Radio (BFR) concerning two young colleagues who were arrested in Copenhagen. Their review resulted in the remand of both in custody until the 23rd of December at the latest.

Thank you very much for immediate publication.

Falk Schlegel on behalf of the BFR

PS:
In the videolink you can hear one of our colleagues (2:06 min) saying:
Au! Eh! I have been pushed. Calm down! I footage here.

Important to notice: The arrest did not happen right after this scene. It took appr. additional 2 minutes. At the time of the arrest it was an almost calm situation.

---

Copenhagen, 15.12.2009

Press release
(for immediate publication)

Massive attack on the freedom of press
The German Association of Free Radio demand
the immediate release of young journalists

During a demonstration at the harbour area of Copenhagen on Sunday, 13th of December the Danish police arrested two German reporters from Rostock as they were working. The young women, both 23 years old, were reporting for the German Association of Free Radio (BFR). The association strongly condemns the massive restrictions on the freedom of press and demands the immediate release of the two colleagues.

The arrest took place on the fringes of a demonstration as the Danish police tried to dissolve it. In this situation the police tried to prevent a large number of journalists from reporting by  shoving them. One of the arrested was also hit in her face whilst filming. Her footage was passed to a colleague shortly before the arrest. In the meantime the videoclip can be watched on the internet.

The police accuse the young journalists of an assault against an officer by one person and an escape attempt by the other. "With their accusations Danish authorities give a false color against my colleagues. Both accusations are not true“ said Mr. Falk Schlegel for the BFR who was present at the time. On Monday morning a review resulted in the remand of both in custody until the 23rd of December at the latest. The judge adjudicated that the cases were not grave enough to justify a longer than 30 day sentence which was demanded by the State Attorney. The main reason for keeping them under arrest was to make sure that the authorities are able to deport the young journalists.

Videoclip on the Internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eI28-N0prc

--
So what! Ge(h)t up! Struggling for the future is bound to raise awareness today!