TEATRO-L Archives

COLOQUIO: TEATRO DE LOS SIGLOS DE ORO

TEATRO-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Alain Saint-Säens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:39:07 -0400
Dear Robert,
Dear Amy,
Dear Members of Teatro-L,
I knew Dr. Nancy Cushing-Daniels very well, and I had the privilege to
accepting her book for publication with University Press of the South
some years ago. Nancy was a very gifted, talented, and pioneering,
scholar. She was a warm, affectionate, always smiling, person I feel
very honored to have known. The best homenaje to her in this sad day is
to mention comment by Sherry Velasco, who had reviewed her manuscript:

'Breaking Boundaries, Forming Friendship: Writing and the Convent in
17th Century Spain'
As the keystone is essential to the structural integrity of the
archways in the convent, the convent itself is the key to understanding
the writing of women in seventeenth-century Spain.  Without the
keystone, the archway at the entrance to the convent might remain
intact for a short while, but it would eventually crumble under the
constant force of gravity.  Similarly, without the convent itself,
women writers in seventeenth century Spain might have experienced some
success, but eventually they would have crumbled under the relentless
pressure of male domination.  The convent provided the building blocks
for what later became a corpus of literature written by women.

“Nancy Cushing-Daniels’ book addresses important issues in early modern
women’s writing in Spain that are commonly ignored due to the frequent
separation of secular writing from the convent context.
  Given
Cushing-Daniels attempt to bridge this gap (by studying the
relationship and role of the convent in women’s lives both in and
outside the cloister) her analysis will undoubtedly provide a worthy
contribution to Golden Age cultural studies.”

Sherry Velasco

Nancy Cushing-Daniels received her Ph.D. from the University of
California, Berkeley in Romance Languages and Literatures. She was an
Associate Professor of Spanish at Gettysburg College.  Her previous
publications include “Beyond Entertainment: the Story Behind the walls
of Mariana de Carvajal’s Navidades de Madrid y noches entretenidas.”

ISBN: 1-889431-60-5

Nancy Cushing-Daniels will be missed but not forgotten.

Dr. Alain Saint-Saëns
Director
University Press of the South
www.unprsouth.com