OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
OU Amateur Radio Club <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:55:07 -0500
7bit
From:
Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]>
If you have a D-Star radio that either has a GPS in it (e.g., an ID31A) or
has one connected to it, you might be interested to know that the W5TC   B
node has the DPRS gateway software.  It is actively passing location data
to the greater APRS network.

See, for example, http://www.jfindu.net/find/N5UWY-1 ,
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=N5UWY-1 , or
http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FN5UWY-1&timerange=86400

I have one of the club's ID31As and have been experimenting with it
(actually, I have both!).  The only downside of doing this with the ID31A
(aside from the fact that you may not like to be publicly tracked!) is that
the GPS seems to really affect battery life ... especially if you are
beaconing your position.

Some info on DPRS here (from the WB4APR, the developer of APRS):
http://www.aprs-is.net/dprs.aspx

If you do play with this, please remember to **only beacon once every five
minutes**, since the radio essentially kerchunks the repeater.  I'm not
certain that radios set up for this will listen before transmitting, either!

Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
College of Architecture, Regional and City Planning, MRCP '16