OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:46:51 -0700
To OWP Teachers Consultants:

Reminder:  The Write To Win Conference for Students
and Teachers is November 3.  Flier and registration
form for that and writing contest information are
attached.  Register early.

We still need about four presenters for students grade
6 through 12 for the conference.    Peference will be
given to teachers who bring students to the
conference.  Your registration will be waived, and you
will earn $125 if you present once, $250 if you
present twice.

Workshop (75 minutes) should including pre-writing and
drafting for one of the writing  contest genres:
poetry, personal narrative, essay, descriptive
paragraph, or short short story.  If possible, include
time for students to share--maybe even to begin
revising.

We could still use workshops on poetry and essay.

Is anyone interested in presenting the general
session?
If I do it, should I focus on another genre or on
revision?

I will paste the workshops already submitted below.
Thanks for your help with this.  I'm expecting lots of
students and teachers.

Janis

A Kiss is More than a Kiss: Metaphorically Speaking
Rhonda Slatten
Alcott Middle School
OWP Teacher Consultant

  Through the  use of candy, students will maximize
their understanding of the five senses.  Students will
develop techniques that will help them re-invent their
imagination so they may better use it in the writing
process.

Guess Who and You Too?"  Using Writing to Develop
>Critical Thinking Skills
>
>Using the writing process, students and teachers will
>discover methods for using prewriting activities
> and poetry to help them learn
>how to think. The students will create rough drafts
to compose into final drafts for publishing. The
primary focus will be on Social
>Studies, yet students will learn how writing and the
>writing process can help them in ANY subject. Come
>prepared to learn a little about history and a lot
>about yourself.

Short Story – Limit, Choose, Cut to the Chase
Doris Dewberry, Noble Junior High

The Introduction is the impact...
The Core is where it happens....
The Conclusion is where it ends...
Limiting your ideas, choosing the precise word and
cutting to the chase scene is what short, short story
writing is about. Edgar Allen
Poe is a master of this...JK Rollins isn't.  If you
enjoy dabbling in writing and have quick scenarios,
short story writing may be your niche. It is the
microwave version of the oven pot roast dinner!

When I Was Young…Various Genres
Vivian Nida

        Whether your favorite place as a child was the
beach, the mountains, or Grandma's backyard, this
workshop will help you capture the past  using vivid
imagery.  Cynthia Rylant's children's book, When I Was
Young in the Mountains, will start your reflection.
What shape will your memories take?  See how you can
shape them into your favorite mode of writing--a
descriptive paragraph, a short story, a personal
narrative, or  essay.

Janis Cramer
Co-Director of Inservice
Oklahoma Writing Project