OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Keith Brewster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
OU Amateur Radio Club <[log in to unmask]>, Keith Brewster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:14:16 -0600
50” Sony HDTV FREE to anyone who would like to use it.   It has a few defects so you could make it a project to get it back to perfect operating condition.   In the meantime it is still very watchable, though a little bit older technology (2004).

Details: Sony KDF50WE655 LCD Rear Projection TV.   50” diagonal screen, 720p.  Stereo speakers.   Total Width 54”, Height 36.5”, Depth 15.6”, including stand.

Inputs: 1 HDMI, 2 component/s-video inputs, 2 composite, 1 front-facing S-video/composite/stereo input, 1 ant RF, 1 cable RF

Output: 1 Optical digital audio, 1 subwoofer

Past maintenance: New projection lamp 2013 (first one lasted 8.5 years)

Defects: The blue LCD panel and polarizing filter can degrade, and at 10 years old the TV is currently showing evidence of this with a small blue blotch in one corner and several single-pixel blue dots on the screen.   The dots are only noticeable in dark scenes.

Project: One can either send the entire R/G/B optical block out to be rebuilt, or find an LCD and polarizing filter, new or cannibalized from other TVs, replace the blue side and clean the parts for the other two colors.   Having the block rebuilt will cost $250-300.  Replacing the individual parts will be cheaper, but you’ll have to align the colors.

One parts supplier:  http://www.tristatemodule.com/
You can search on You Tube for some how-tos.

Email [log in to unmask] if you’re interested.  Sorry, I am not able to deliver, I don't think it'll fit in our compact cars, you'll have to pick it up (NW Norman).

I'm sending this first to OUARC list, feel free to forward it, especially to students who might be interested.

-Keith n0iaw