DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Hans Peter Aagard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans Peter Aagard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:10:28 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dee Fink" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:47:29 AM
Subject: 7th Annual National Workshop on "Course Design" + New Optional Workshop

Want your faculty to be able to design better courses?

This is an announcement about the 7 th Annual National Workshop on “Designing Courses for Greater Student Engagement & Better Learning” that is scheduled for May 20-22, 2014 .

This year we have a new, half-day optional workshop on “Leading Your Own Workshop, on Integrated Course Design”.

Both workshops are described below.

If you - or people you know - might be interested signing up for this workshop, we hope you will consider joining us; it will be one of the best workshops you ever attended.

My Best, Dee Fink

P.S.: If you have questions, please email me at: [log in to unmask]

Dee Fink & Associates

Designing Courses for Significant Learning

This coming May 20-22, 2014, Dee Fink & Associates will host their Annual National Workshop on “Designing Courses for Greater Student Engagement & Better Learning” in Chicago, Illinois at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare.

This workshop teaches participants how to design their courses in a way that leads to greater student engagement and better student learning.

What We Will Do At the Workshop

The workshop lasts 2 ½ days, starting Tuesday morning and ending on Thursday at noon. During that time, we will work through a learning-centered approach to designing courses. During each phase, participants will have time to apply the ideas that have been introduced, to the design of a course of their own choosing.

Special Value of This Workshop

We do many workshops for college campuses on this topic, and they are good. But this national workshop is the most powerful workshop we do , for two reasons:

1. We have more time – 2 ½ days.

· On most campuses – with the demands on faculty time, we only get ½ to one day of workshop time.

· At this workshop, we have 2-5 times as much time.

2. Every participant gets frequent, individualized feedback on their work.

· We have Feedback Facilitators for every group of 6 participants.

· In each phase of the process, each participant gets feedback from the other participants and from the Feedback Facilitator – and gets to see the work of other participants.

The other special characteristic of this workshop is that it is a “Doing” workshop , not a series of “talking heads.” Over 50% of the workshop time is spent actually designing a course of your own choosing – and getting feedback on that design.

What are the “Take-Away’s” ?

When participants complete this workshop, they will have accomplished two things. They will have…

1) Learned how to design any set of instructional activities, from a few class sessions to a whole course to a program curriculum.

2) Completed the design of one course of their own choosing.

For Whom Is This Workshop Intended ?

This workshop has major value for two groups of people:

1. Faculty Members learn the principles of good course design which they can then apply to all their own courses in the future.

2. Faculty Developers learn the principles of good course design AND how to lead a workshop on this topic themselves.

Impact of This Workshop

Participants in past years have made the following comments about this workshop:

“Really, this is probably the best, most cohesive, well-organized and well-paced workshop I have ever attended!”

“Reading the book was valuable, but talking about the concepts made it actionable.”

“When I tried these ideas, the energy in my classroom increased significantly…in fact the new energy was palpable.”

New, Optional Workshop on “ Leading Your Own Workshop , on Integrated Course Design. ”

This year, on Thursday Afternoon after the basic workshop is finished, we will also offer an optional, 3-hour workshop for people who want additional support for offering their own workshop on the subject of course design. We will (a) share materials, workshop outlines, and tips, and (b) give all participants a chance to practice and get feedback on leading portions of the workshop.

Cost: $150. There is information about this optional workshop on the webpage for the basic workshop (see below)

Where Can You Find Information About Registering for Either Workshop ?

You can find additional information about the two workshops, their cost, lodging, and procedures for registering, on our special webpage for this workshop: http://www.deefinkandassociates.com/index.php/workshops/chicago-2014/

Note : There is a Group Discount of 20% if 4 or more people from the same institution register for the workshop.

We hope you will consider attending!

Again, if you have specific questions, you can email Dee Fink at: [log in to unmask] .
--

L. Dee Fink

**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)
**Author of: Creating Significant Learning Experiences (2003, Jossey-Bass)
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services