DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Emma Bourassa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emma Bourassa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:51:25 -0700
Hi all,
This is great timing as I am in my second round of 'becoming one of my students'. I have again travelled to a foreign place and begun to learn the culture and language of the place and reflect on the values that drive my curriculum development and implementation.  The experiential learning around this has been powerful and I am wondering how such an experience of looking at myself as a learner and  a teacher at the same time might be of use in the academic realm? The questions/concerns/ideas that have come up during this particular experience mainly have to do with:
1. How much curriculum is based on the instructor's knowledge vs. what the students need?
2. How much time is spent in reinforcing skills/knowledge/attitudes and how are those competencies measured?
3. How can/are different courses transferring skills/knowledge/attitudes for more in depth learning experiences?
4. How flexible are faculty when the 'program/course' needs tweaking

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
emma

Life is full of obstacle illusions.
Grant Frasier

Emma Bourassa
English as a Second or Additional Language/ Teaching English as a Second Language Instructor
ESL Department
Thompson Rivers University
900 McGill Road. P.O. Box 3010
Kamloops, B.C. V2C 5N3