DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Peter Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:47:30 +1200
Hi all,

I, and two colleagues, have been tasked with developing, introducing, and
delivering a new core (aka compulsory) courses for our 1st year,
undergraduate degree (Bachelor of Commerce).The 'content' of the course is
largely based on Management and Marketing.

Aside from the 'content', there are explicit goals around the delivery of
soft skills. our starting list of soft skills is rather long (more than we
can possibly do). Our partial list includes:

Communication skills
Writing skills
Giving and receiving feedback
Presentation skills
Project management skills
Negotiation skills
Managing self
Managing others
Teamwork
IT Management and Technology
Critical thinking
Problem Solving
Creativity
Lifelong learning

I wonder what people have found that, in their experience, are the three or
four soft skills that would have the largest positive impact on students
(I'm leaving things rather vague here, so people can interpret the question
in a variety of ways).

Kind regards

Peter Smith

Department of Management and International Business
The University of Auckland Business School, Private Bag 92019, AUCKLAND
Email: [log in to unmask], Phone: +64 9 923 7178
Wave: [log in to unmask]