DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:34:44 -0600
Hi Everyone,

I want to mention that "Dee Fink & Associates" is offering *three ways to
learn* about the basics of good course design, two of which are relatively
new.  Let me provide some information about them, starting with the newest
of these.

*1.  Online Course about "Designing Online & Hybrid Courses"*
Linda Jacoby and Stewart Ross have teamed up to create this online course
that will be available to start sometime in the next week or so.  They are
both from Minnesota State University in Mankato.
      This course has two major portions.  The first is about the *basics of
good course design*, e.g., writing good learning goals, the 3-column table,
etc.  The second is about *key topics related to the online dimension of
course design*, e.g., creating good course navigation strategies, using
media and technology appropriately, criteria for good online courses, etc.
Stewart has many years of experience with the first component; Linda has
many years of working with faculty on the second component.
      *Value of This Course:*  More and more campuses are encouraging their
faculty to move into teaching their courses in a fully online or hybrid
format.  That can be scary for faculty.  This online course can reduce that
fear by educating them about the both the general principles of good course
design and good procedures with online/hybrid courses.
      This course will operate on the basis of continuous enrollment,
meaning we will start a new section whenever we have 5-8 people ready to
enroll.
      *For more information* about this course, see:
http://www.deefinkandassociates.com/?page_id=164

*2.  **Online General Course about "Designing Courses for Greater Student
Engagement & Better Student Learning"*
I put this course together last year, trial tested it, and am currently
teaching two sections of it, with people from North Carolina, Connecticut,
and Kenya.  It is working very well.
       It has 14 units and works through the various steps of Integrated
Course Design: identifying the Big Purpose of the course and the Situational
Factors, writing good learning goals, learning activities, and assessment
activities, etc.
       *Value of This Course:*  As many of you know, when faculty learn
about the basic principles, it is like the fog lifts about what they can and
should do to teach better and have better relationships with their
students.  It also often gives them an agenda for continuing their education
about good teaching, e.g., active learning, educative assessment, teaching
strategies, etc.
       This course also can solve the problem that many campuses have about
how to introduce good ideas on teaching to *adjunct faculty*.  The problem
with this group is finding a time when they can all meet.  Enrolling them in
an online course solves this problem.
      Like the preceding course, this one operates on continuous enrollment.
This means we will start a new section whenever we have 5-8 people ready to
go.
      *For more information* about this course, see:
http://www.deefinkandassociates.com/?page_id=161

*Two Certificates Available*
In both of these online courses, faculty have the opportunity to earn either
or both of two Certificates:

   - *Certificate of Completion:*  This is issued when someone completes all
   the units in either of the courses.
   - *Certificate of Performance:*  This is issued whenever someone can
   submit a course design that meets the criteria of good course design that we
   have put together.  To give you a sense of what these are like, the
*criteria
   for the general course* on course design are attached.
      - A number of campus leaders see great value in having a significant
      portion of their faculty earn either or both of these certificates, but
      especially the Certificate of Performance.  This means a
substantial portion
      of their faculty not only *know* about good course design; they can *do
      it.*

These Certificates are issued by the University of Oklahoma who is hosting
the courses.

*3.  **Annual National Workshop*
As we have done for the last several years, we will offer the National
Workshop on course design again; this year it will be on *May 20-22, 2011*in
*Minneapolis*.
      As many of you know from having attended one, this workshop is really
powerful, for three reasons:

   1. *More Time:*  We have 2.5 days, so we have time for everyone to
*do*the steps involved in re-designing their courses.
   2. *More Feedback:*  Everyone sits at a table of 5-7 people with a
   trained *Feedback Facilitator*.  After doing each step, everyone shares
   with others at their table.  Hence, they get feedback from multiple people
   on their design activities and get to see the work of several others.
   3. *It is a "Doing" workshop:*  Over 50% of the total workshop time is
   spent either doing the various steps or dialoguing with others about their
   work.

By the time participants finish the workshop, they have two major
"take-away's":

   - They will have the *design for a whole course *close to completed.
   - They will understand the *principles and process of good course design*,
   so they can design all their courses in the future for greater student
   engagement and better student learning.

*For more information* about the National Workshop, see:
http://www.deefinkandassociates.com/?page_id=47

I hope you might consider, or encourage your colleagues to consider
participating in one or another of these opportunities.  Each of them has
been crafted to help participants greatly enhance their ability to create
significant learning experiences for their students!

My Best,  Dee Fink

--
L. Dee Fink

**National Project Director:  Teaching & Curriculum Improvement (TCI)
Project
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services
**Author of: Creating Significant Learning Experiences
**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)