DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Kathleen Lux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Lux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:35:23 -0500
Hi,  I am a "Finkite" (for lack of a better title).  I attended Dee Finks's seminar
in Chicago in May of this year and bought into his beliefs on course design.  I
then spent the summer redesigning my community health nursing course into
his recommnded format.  I was very nervous about introducing this new
course design to my nursing students because they have only had lectures
and Powerpoint handouts their entire nursing school experience.  As Dee
suggested, I used the "What do you want to learn the most about in this
course and your college career?" question (the approach is on the website
under resource downloads - "Imact of First Day Questions) and it worked
great.  Not 1 student seemed distressed by our new plan to pratice learning
and applying learning in new situations during our class times.  They agreed
they could read the text and learn the course basics on their own.  In fact,
the next day, 1 of the students stopped into my office to thank me for taking
the time and effort to redesign the course to improve her learning! I was
shocked but happy.  We're off to a good start.
Thanks
Kathleen Lux