DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 05:28:49 -0500
Peter,

What a wonderful task and related question.

I will leave the door open to others, to address your question of which of
these learning goals might have the largest impact.   What I can't resist is
the opportunity to note two things about your list of possible learning
goals.

First, if you had not mentioned that the course was mainly about Management
and Marketing, I could have read that list as a good list of learning goals
for "Leadership in Any Kind of Organization" - churches, schools, the
military, university department chairs, non-profits, etc.

Second, when I read your list of desired kinds of learning and relate them
to my taxonomy of significant learning, they seem to relate to three of the
categories of significant learning:

*Application*:

A. Skills

        Communication

        Writing

        Presentation

        Project Management

        IT Management

B. Thinking

        Critical thinking

        Problem solving

        Creativity

*Human Dimension*:

A.  Learning about ONESELF:
        Managing oneself

B.  Learning how to INTERACT WITH OTHERS

        Giving and receiving feedback

        Negotiating

        Managing Others

        Teamwork

*Learning How to Learn*
       Lifelong Learning

Thanks for the quick posting!  I assume others will have more to say about
your question.

Dee

--
L. Dee Fink

**National Project Director:  Teaching & Curriculum Improvement (TCI)
Project
**Senior Associate, Dee Fink & Associates Consulting Services
**Author of: Creating Significant Learning Experiences
**Former President of the POD Network in Higher Education (2004-2005)