DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
David Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:49:54 -0500
Michael,

I teach an online Chemistry for Health Professions course. My students
are almost entirely nurses who are trying to complete their bachelors.
Although they are a pretty motivated bunch of students, I'm intrigued by
the idea of doing this synchronously, but felt that it wouldn't work
because of student schedule conflicts. Is there a face to face version
of the course you teach? If not, are there options for students who
cannot attend the synch time?

Dave

David Wilson
Associate Professor of Biology and Chemistry
Parkland College
Champaign, IL 61821
217-351-2371
>>> Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]> 06/21/10 9:27 PM >>>
Thanks, Michael!

Does anyone have questions or comments on what Michael has done?

     Any similar or related experiences?

Dee

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Thomas Michael Power <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Hi Dee,
>
> Yes, indeed. I started teaching online using a combination of a basic
> website and a virtual classroom about 10 years ago. Rather early on in
> online learning, I realized that developing a full-blown website was
> prohibitively time-consuming and simply an exercise in futility since
> updating it in a timely fashion became a virtual impossibility. I also
> realized that teaching online asynchronously was... well, boring. I
missed
> the spontaneous debating, the back 'n forth, the warmth of verbal
contact
> that had mad eme become a university professor in the first place. So
> lessened my dependance on asynch and added the synch classroom and
have
> never looked back. I now teach graduate courses only and I get the
chance to
> work with highly-motivated students from across the country and even
> overseas. They are all present and accounted for, every Tuesday
afternoon
> from 4:30 to 7:30 PM with a 20-minute break in the middle, just like
> on-campus. Students tell me that the much-vaunted 24/7 online course
ends up
> being 0/0 since, for some reason or another, they say they never seem
to get
> around to doing the work required in an online course. They say they
feel
> isolated and unmotivated.
>
> In a nutshell, I try to run my seminar just as I would on campus.
Students
> do have some individual work to do before class - reading - but they
tend to
> do it because they also have a team assignment that requires they do
it. The
> peer commitment seems to make it all work in that they come to class
> prepared to debate, discuss and examine concepts and principles
embedded in
> the readings and discussed within their teams, in either synch or
asynch
> mode.
>
> I've added some references below for your perusal.
>
> Michael
>

> @@@@@@@@
> Dr. Michael Power
> Professor & Programs Director - Educational Technology
> Faculty of Education - Université Laval
> Founder of www.bold-research.org Research Network
> Director of Research www.CNIE-RCIE.ca
> Deputy Director (Education) http://geoeduc3d.scg.ulaval.ca/
> Member of the Board of Directors www.cirta.org
> Office 1174
> 2320 rue des Bibliothèques
> Université Laval
> Quebec City (Québec) G1V 0A6
> CANADA
> Phone : (418) 656-2131 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting
(418) 656-2131      end_of_the_skype_highlighting #5467
http://cider.athabascau.ca/CIDERSessions/sessionarchive

--