DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Susan K. Wolcott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan K. Wolcott
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 04:23:19 -0700
Dee and Michael,

I’ve been teaching in a hybrid International Executive MBA program for many
years.  The courses typically begin with a few live sessions during the
students’ 2-week “residential” period.  Then we have 6 months of
asynchronous online sessions.  I love the online sessions; they proceed to
deeper levels than is possible in the limited time of a live class.  My
sessions last for four days, and most students add about one posting per
day.  In this program, I have taught introductory financial accounting,
introductory cost accounting, and management control systems.  I use
slightly different types of assignments and questions in the introductory
courses versus the strictly case-based MCS course.  Like Michael, my
students prepare with readings and group assignments.

A few years ago, I tried a similar approach for a couple of weeks in a live
evening MBA program.  Although the students told me that they preferred live
sessions, I found that the quality of the discussion was quite high—same as
in my IXMBA courses.

For me, the key to active and high-quality discussions is setting up
separate threads for different topics.  I ask questions to start each
thread, and then add comments as needed to prompt consideration of
additional issues.  The only downside for me is the time; I spent much more
time on an online session than on an equivalent live session.

Susan