DESIGNLEARNING-L Archives

For college professors globally, to dialogue about course design.

DESIGNLEARNING-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Dee Fink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:45:13 -0500
Peter,

Glad to hear those ideas were helpful.

As to your question on how to develop skills around Integration, the key
concept in that idea, for me, is "making connections."

      Then there are various kinds of connections that you might want
students to learn how to make.

*Types of Connections*

First, there can be connections between/among ideas *within a course*. For
example, in a Psychology course, one might want students identify
similarities and differences among various theorists, e.g., Freud, Skinner,
and Rogers.

       Or you might want students to make connections between what they are
learning *in your course and other courses* they have taken (or might take),
e.g., between geography (a subject I once taught) and history, economics,
political science, etc.

      Or you might want students to make connections between what they are
learning in *this course and other parts of their life*, e.g., between what
they are learning about leadership in the Business School and what they see
happening in organizations they are part of or what they are trying to do in
any organization of which they have been a part or are currently a part.

*How you get that to happen*

To help students make connections of any kind, they basically need to
practice making such connections multiple times and getting frequent,
immediate feedback.  This will happen usually through a combination of
individual reflection, writing, and small group or whole group discussion.

      The key, I think, is to give them multiple opportunities to do this
and to get feedback every time they do it.  Gradually, if all goes well,
they get better at it.

Hope that gives you some ideas on this task that will be helpful!

My Best,   Dee

--