EUCACADEMIC-L Archives

Academicians interested in the European Union

EUCACADEMIC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Loving, Jody A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Loving, Jody A
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:39:24 -0500
Hello European Union Enthusiasts,

The First Southwestern Model European Union hosted by the EU Center at the
University of Oklahoma this past April was a fantastic success.  I write to
provide details about this year's event and to encourage you to include us
in your plans for spring 2003.

Universities from Oklahoma and Arkansas sent nine country delegations for a
total of eighty student participants. Students played the roles of foreign
ministers, agriculture ministers, finance ministers, commissioners, members
of parliament and heads of state. In these roles, they had a chance to
propose, veto and enact legislation important to their nations and the
European Union.  Student evaluations indicate that students learned a great
deal about the institutions about the EU, about the process of bargaining
and compromise, and about the value of good preparation.

Conclusions of the presidency, student comments, pictures, and hospitality
information and simulation guidelines for the 2002 summit are available on
our web site at http://www.ou.edu/eucenter/Programs.htm -- click on the
Model EU link.  For more information about the European Union Center and the
University of Oklahoma visit our website www.ou.edu/eucenter .

We expect a larger number of delegations to participate in the Second
Southwestern Model EU, which will take place on the OU campus from April 24
to 26, 2003.  We understand that bringing a delegation to the Model EU
requires substantial advance preparation, and we encourage you to begin your
plans early.  Please contact us with any questions concerning the logistics
or substance of the simulation.

Sincerely;
Mitchell P. Smith, Ph.D.
Co-Director, European Union Center
Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science
    and School of International and Area Studies
The University of Oklahoma
455 West Lindsey St.
Room 205
Norman, OK 73019-2001