HABITAT-L Archives

habitat-l

HABITAT-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Mike Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
HABITAT-L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:17:24 -0600
Hi there,
I'm writing this message to all of you to keep everyone informed about
our plans for next semester.  The two big things going on are house
construction and Collegiate Challenge.

As you have hopefully found out by now, OU Habitat will be building it's
first house next semester!  This is a very exciting project for us.  OU
HFH is responsible for raising the funds and supplying the labor.

We will be holding a ground-breaking ceremony soon after school starts
in January.  We would like everyone to come and help celebrate!
Construction will begin in mid-February and end in mid-May (hopefully).
There will be a total of 16 working days, approximately 8 or 10 of which
will require volunteers (the other days are done by contractors). We
will be scheduling student groups and individuals to come work.

Ross Nelson ([log in to unmask]) will be in charge of scheduling student
groups.  If you have a group that is interested in helping please
contact him.  Rita Patel ([log in to unmask]) will be organizing individual
volunteers.  We will also need help in supplying lunch each work day,
and we are looking for people to be site hosts.  The site hosts will
meet the volunteers in the morning, give them a name tag, talk a little
about safety, etc etc.  If you are interested in taking on either one of
these jobs, please contact Rita.  (By the way, you don't need any
experience to be a site host.)

Our other activity next semester will be Collegiate Challenge.  This is
a really cool opportunity for anyone who wants to get more involved with
Habitat.  During spring break, we will be traveling with 12 people to El
Paso, TX (which, by the way, is right on the US-Mexico border, so you
will have the opportunity to visit Mexico as well).  The cost is about
$60, and it's a whole lot of fun.  Contact Bradey McDied
([log in to unmask]) if you'd like more info or to sign up.

Mike Schneider
President, OU HFH