HABITAT-L Archives

habitat-l

HABITAT-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
OU Habitat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
habitat-l <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:28:29 -0500
Hi everyone,

We've got two important items for your attention.

1) YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP TO PARTICIPATE IN SHACK-A-THON, EVEN IF YOU MISSED THE MEETINGS.  Brief synopsis of Shack-a-thon:  Thu-Fri, Sept. 25-26, student organizations and groups of volunteers will create a shantytown on the South Oval to raise awareness about poverty housing.  Using materials people throw away, groups will build shacks which they will then spend the night in.  Anyone can "vote" with donations to a jar in front of their favorite shack.  Votes can also be negated by donating to another jar.  When it's all over, on Fri. the 26th, we'll have an awards ceremony with winners for various categories (most money raised, most creative, etc.)

We have about 9 groups currently planning to participate, but we need more. Email us at [log in to unmask] with "Shack-a-thon" in the subject line for more details and/or to get registration materials for your group of 3-10 individuals--this can be a student organization that wants to get some community service in, or it can be just a group of friends that want to help out. (And if you want to help out but don't have a group of 3, let us know and we can try and hook you up with another group.) There is a registration fee of $25, but if your group decides to raise the $500 required to work on the build site in the spring, this money (as well as whatever money your shack raises) will go directly toward that. Student organizations can check their mailboxes in the UOSA for a packet of information from OU Habitat, including Shack-a-thon forms.  Completed registration should be returned to box 225, along with a $25 check made payable to OU Habitat for Humanity.  (Please do NOT put
  cash in the box!!)

2) We want to organize members into committees at our next general meeting (Wed., Oct. 1, 7pm, Sooner Room in OMU).  Be thinking about which of these you want to be on, and you can sign up at the meeting.  (Or if you can't make it, you can reply to this email and let us know which you want to be on.)

Webmaster- We are looking for one computer-literate, web-savvy individual who can keep our OU Habitat website updated. (The site itself has already been created and needs only be uploaded to a server on OU; you would simply be involved in any necessary tweaking and, most importantly, keeping it--you know--updated.) Those interested should reply to [log in to unmask]

Publicity- Several of you are already signed up for this committee; publicity is in charge of writing press releases, chalking, posting fliers, and doing whatever else needs to be done to get the word out about Habitat events and meetings.

Grant Writing- The sole task of this committee will be to find and write up grants; there are lots of foundations out there that give out money to support good causes, and we want to be one of those causes that gets some of the money, so that we can build OUr House!

Fundraising committees:
This fall semester we are trying to raise funds so we can build on campus in the spring: each large fundraiser will therefore have its own committee.  If you want to be on the organizing committee for these events, contact the person listed.  (If you just want to participate in these events, you'll be able to get more info at our meetings and in future emails.  But do consider helping out with the planning, we officers need a helping hand sometimes!)

Shack-a-thon- If you want to help with Shack-a-thon specifically, please reply ASAP; whether or not you are participating in the event itself, we can still use some help before then in certain areas.  See above for a summary about Shack-a-thon.  POC: Stephanie, [log in to unmask]

Game Day Paint Cans- On the day of each OU home game, volunteer groups will be assigned to intersections around Norman to ask drivers for donations to Habitat.  (Like those firefighters you see sometimes.) POC: Clint, [log in to unmask]

Trick-or-Change- (Oct. 31) On Halloween, groups will dress up and go to various neighborhoods asking for donations. POC: Kelly, [log in to unmask]

Bail-Out- (Nov. 25) Student leaders and community leaders will be "arrested" and must raise some amount of bail money in order to be set free. Just to mix it up, people can also donate money that raises the amount required for the bail.  POC: Nathan, [log in to unmask]

Please think about which of these committees you'd be interested in, and tell your friends about Shack-a-thon and OU Habitat for Humanity!

Your Habi-tary,
Clint
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers