HEARTLAND Archives

Communication for the Heartland Regional Genetics Group

heartland@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
John Senner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Communication for the Heartland Regional Genetics Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:07:36 -0500
Jayne,

Arkansas Center for Health Statistics is a SAS shop.  We use it for everything.  Why?  Most of CDC that I am aware of uses SAS also.  So programs and data sets that are shared/exchanged with CDC don't need conversion.  A very large portion of statisticians (probably greater than 90%) uses SAS at some point, although they may also use other tools.  SAS probably has the widest range of complicated procedures in its tool box.  Use is wide spread in the business and scientific community.

Why not use it?  Not the easiest tool to learn from scratch.  Expensive if you have to buy your own licenses, although CDC hands some out free with grants.

What about SPSS?  Cheaper.  Easier to work with.  Certainly does a good job on a wide range of typical problems.

If you are looking, look at STATA.  Haven't used it, but I hear very good reports.

John Senner
Arkansas Health Statistics