HEARTLAND Archives

Communication for the Heartland Regional Genetics Group

heartland@SPEEDY.OUHSC.EDU

From:
"Gorski, Jerome L." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Communication for the Heartland Regional Genetics Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:38:12 -0500
Hey,

Both should probably have a brain MRI, karyotype, methylation PCR
(Prader-Willi).  I'd only perform the DM1/2 testing for myotonic
dystrophy if there is evidence of facial weakness (severe feeding
difficulties, airway problems with pooled secretions, failure to change
facial expression, etc.)  If the infants have DTR's (deep tendon
reflexes), forget the SMA testing.  Both of the kids need to be seen by
a peds neurologist and/or geneticist.  Additional studies would include
a NCV/EMG and muscle biopsy; but those depend on the initial evaluation
results.  I hope that this helps.  Later...

Jerry