OUARC-L Archives

Alpha Sigma Delta Radio Society

OUARC-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Laws <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:54:57 -0600
Carey Legett wrote:
> A side note for everyone:
> Unless the FCC changes things, the only modes that Technician/Tech+/
> Novice will be allowed on HF are SSB and CW.  They are not authorized
> data or image transmissions except on 10 meters where they are also
> authorized RTTY and data in the lower portion of the band between
> 28.0 and 28.3MHz.  The only SSB authorization is between 28.3 and
> 28.5MHz.  Hope to hear everyone on, and hope everyone upgrades now
> that all you have to do is pass Element 3!

Here's what the ARRL FAQ says about the new NOT YET IN EFFECT Tech
privileges:

 > 3525-3600 kHz CW only

 > 7025-7125 kHz CW only

 > 21,025-21,200 kHz CW only

 > 28,000-28,300 kHz CW, RTTY and Data

 > 28,300-28,500 kHz CW, RTTY, Data, Phone and Image

 > The power limit is 200 W PEP output for Technician operators.

I'll also add that where it says Phone, the only 'phone currently
authorized is SSB.  The FM portion of 10 m is above 29,000 kHz and still
requires a General license.

Still, this is a great deal for Techs even if you don't take the General
exam.  Of course it would be a way better deal if we were 3-4 years
further along (or further back!) in the 11-year solar cycle ...  :-)

73,
Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
How am I doing? Please contact my director, Craig Cochell, at