OUIMPROV-L Archives

Obviously Unrehearsed Improv Announcement List

OUIMPROV-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Eric Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:23:46 -0600
Dear OU Improvisors,

A QUICK RECAP:

- There were 85 people at the show on last Saturday: A fantastic turnout for
Valentine's Day! Thanks to all the regular performers and audience
participants for creating another great show.

- We successfully navigated the treacherous quagmire of the UOSA Subsidiary
Budget Process Bureacracy and have emerged with an additional $1,000 for OU
Improv! for the 2004 School Year.

ON TO NEW BUSINESS:

We need to get more people involved with the adminstration end of things as
well as with the gruntwork inherent in promoting the group. Many of you have
offered to help, but have yet to show up. We know its hard to keep track of
everything, so we want to make it easier for everyone to get involved.

To that end we are providing the following information. This is all up to
date and should remain consistent throughout the semester. If any changes do
occur, notification will be go out over this listserv.

But first a call to arms from Marcy!

***PERFORMANCE CRITIQUES/WORKSHOP TIMES***

- So everyone raise your hand if you wish you could be funny in front of all
these people. Come on, we know you are out there. Did you you do improv a
long time ago or wish you could do it now? Well we have just the place for
you to get into the improv groove. We will be holding workshops on the
off-Saturdays between shows. (Saturday, 2/21, being the first one.)

We will review the tapes from the recent show from 1pm to 3pm and then
workshop new ideas and improvements from 3pm to 5pm. This is designed for
newbies learning basic skills and hardcore players needing fine tuning. We
would like to especially invite any women players that would like to see
what they are made of in the improv arena. In case anyone hasn't noticed, we
are a little testosterone heavy on the OU Improv stage. I personally hope to
see even more variety in ideas and characters springing from creativity with
increased input from women. We will see.

These workshops are safe, comfortable places to build improv skill. Even if
you maybe want to play just a little bit (like that nagging "I wish I
had..." that plagues us sometimes), I suggest you give it a try. The
workshops will take place at The Lair: Stefan, Clint, and Eric's home at 932
Drake St. Call 413-0162 for directions or questions.

***MC'S WANTED***

- We are looking for more MC's. We'd like to rotate the position of master
of ceremonies between different people each week. Regular players are
welcome to MC if they'd like a change of pace from playing all the time.
Also, anyone new can do this too. The playlist is setup preceding the show
and the MC is supposed keep the crowd involved and excited and keep the show
moving forward. It's a challenging job, but still fun. Just let us know if
you are interested.

***ORGANIZERS WANTED***

- We're always in need of people to help with club organization. Please
email us and let us know if you can help.

thanks-m.

-------------

NOW... On to the master list of regularly scheduled repeating OUI! Events as
well as the play dates and locations for the rest of the semester. Get
Informed. Get Involved.

- Regular shows are held every two weeks for increased opportunities to
perform in front of an audience. Shows are in the Union from 8pm to 10:30pm.

- An hour-long warm-up precedes every show. This warm-up is open to everyone
and is designed to improve scene building, quick thinking, character
development, and focus.

- We feature individual performers during a 15-mintute Open Mic at the
beginning of every show. Sign-up by 7:30pm.

- Following every show, stay around for more experimental and long-form
improv games.

- Without fail, there is always a post-improv gathering, perpetuating the
merriment and camaraderie accumulated during a performance. The locations of
these gatherings are announced at the show.

- Every "off" Saturday (non performance Sat.), we review and critique the
tapes of the show and workshop ideas to makes us a leaner, meaner improv
machine. This takes place at The Lair (Eric, Stefan, and Clint’s house) at
932 Drake St. starting at 1pm. Starting at 3pm on the same day, we hold
informal workshops for players that want to seriously improve their improv
skills.

- We distribute flyers and chalk the Tuesday and Wednesday before every
regular show at 11:30am in front of Gittinger and at 1:00pm beside the
Conoco Wing of the OMU.

- To join the listserv go to lists.ou.edu and sign up for

---------------------------------

Upcoming Performances:

All Shows Are in the Oklahoma Memorial Union:
900 Asp Ave. on the OU Campus, Norman.

Showtimes:
8 to 10pm with a 7pm Warm-up.
(Open Mic Sign-up Closes at 7:30pm)

- February 28: Associates Room (3rd Floor) Co-Sponsored by the UPB

- March 13: Associates Room (3rd Floor) Co-Sponsored by the UPB

- March 27: Heritage Room (2nd Floor)

- April 10: Heritage Room (2nd Floor)

- April 24: Heritage Room (2nd Floor)

May 8:  Room TBA

May 22: Heritage Room (2nd Floor)

OU Improv! All Are Welcome.
Participate or Just Watch. Always Have Fun.

There it is then. All the info. you'll need to stay active and involved and
help us to continue the fantastic trend we've started this semester. Get in
touch if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Eric Webb
Phone: 307-9769
AIM: thelastavatar
MSN/E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx