Date:
Thu, 12 May 2016 13:51:27 +0000
Digital Citizenship and Surveillance Society
London, 27 June, 1 pm

For the past 18 months the research project 'Digital Citizenship and
Surveillance Society: UK State-Media-Citizen Relations After the
Snowden Leaks' has investigated the consequences of the Snowden
revelations. We will hold a workshop in London on Monday 27th June to
present findings of our research and discuss their implications.

Digital Citizenship and Surveillance Society
12:30 Arrival and registration
1-2pm - Presentation of project findings
2:30-5:30pm - Workshops to discuss implications and next steps:
- Journalism and news media: What are the challenges for journalist
work and for covering surveillance?
- Civil society activism: How do we advance data justice?
- Policy reform: The Investigatory Powers Bill and beyond - What
should the policy framework be?
- Technology: What are the prospects of tools and standards development?

The event will bring together scholars, activists, technologists,
policymakers, and other experts. It will continue the productive
debates from last year's conference 'Surveillance and Citizenship'
(http://www.dcssproject.net/conference/), and it will serve to discuss
future steps and projects regarding research, policy reform,
technological development, etc.

The workshop will take place at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers,
One Birdcage Walk (http://www.onebirdcagewalk.com/) in London
(Westminster). More information on the venue and how to get to there
can be found here
http://www.onebirdcagewalk.com/contact-us/one-birdcage-walk-directions. More
information about the day will be published on the website
http://www.dcssproject.net closer to the date.

Participation is free of charge but registration is required. Please
register by 31 May at:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/digital-citizenship-and-surveillance-society-1-day-workshop-tickets-25259029437.

This workshop is hosted by the School of Journalism, Media and
Cultural Studies at Cardiff University. Organizing group: Dr Arne
Hintz (Cardiff University), Prof Karin Wahl-Jorgensen (Cardiff
University), Dr Lina Dencik (Cardiff University), Prof Ian Brown
(Oxford University), Dr Michael Rogers (Briar Project), Dr Jonathan
Cable (Cardiff University). For information about the project, see:
http://www.dcssproject.net/