OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:26:14 -0800
Hello, writers--

I posted a new writing on the OWP Web Log.  It is like
the Summer Institute E-Anthology, so if you're
interested, you can go there and read it, then post
your responses.  I'd appreciate feedback of any kind.
It's a teacher lore piece I should have written over
15 years ago...

To see it, you have to go to the OWP blog:

http://blogs.writingproject.org/blogwrite24/discuss/msgReader$96

If you have questions about how to use the blog,
contact our tech liaison, Sandra Effinger, at
mseffie.mac.com

It you just want me to send you the writing as an
attachment, just reply to this e-mail.

Here's just a little teaser to get you interested:

Some Girls Would

By Janis Cramer

Martha was a skinny little nerd with an attitude. I
didn’t like her much, maybe because she didn’t like
me. She was a good writer, though, a tenth grader in
my Creative Writing II class at Mustang High School...

...One day I called her to my desk to conference with
her about her short story. “Martha, this story is
good—great conflict, great character development…”

“But?” she smirked.

“Well, I think you rushed it, or else you couldn’t
think of a good way to end it.”

“What’s wrong with how it ended?” she shot back.

I stared at her little brown eyes behind those thick
lenses. “No girl would kill herself just because a boy
she had a crush on didn’t like her.”

Goose bumps went down my back as she stared right back
at me. “Some girls would.”