OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"Phelps, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phelps, Terry
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:54:08 -0500
The Writing Marathon will indeed take place this Saturday, April 11, beginning at Lillian Johnson's house at 9:30 a.m.  See Mapquest at this site:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Lawton&state=OK&address=4+Nw+Burr+Oak+Dr.

Zooming out on the Mapquest map shows I-44 south, then 277 west, then 58 south, then right on NW Burr Oak Dr.  Zooming in and out with the + on the left side of the map enables everyone to see the big picture as well as the smaller roads.

We start at 9:30 a.m.and will likely write and interact until 4 p.m. or until people need to leave.

Terry Phelps

Below is information from Lillian Johnson about Medicine Park.

Dear OWP and OSUWP colleagues,

I am so excited that the Writing Marathon will travel down OK 44-
HE Bailey Turnpike- to Medicine Park and the Wildlife Refuge.  As a
brief pre-writing exercise as you make the journey think of the
Native Americans and Scott Momaday's, introduction to The Way to
Rainy Mountain.

"A single knoll rises out of the plain in Oklahoma, north and west of
the Wichita Range.  For my people, the Kiowas, it is an old landmark,
and they gave it the name Rainy Mountain.

I will have the rest of the introduction here for you to read.
Remember the  great pioneers, trappers, soldiers on their way to Ft.
Sill and the outlaws who found safety in the hills.

> These are some great places and do not have to be in this order.
> Google Medicine Park and you will get great information.

Most of the restaurants open at 11:00 and the Great Buffalo Grounds
breakfast /coffee spot is small and could be crowded on the day
before Easter with the Passion Play scheduled for Saturday evening.
So...

>> I'd like to use my house as a starting off place. 4 NW Burr Oak
>> Drive, Lawton, OK. tel #580 492-6250.  Terry will send you my map
>> and directions. (I will add this --Burr Oak is off Highway 58--the
>> second entrance to Oak Meadow addition as you travel North)  We
>> will have coffee, tea, a bite to nibble on to get us going. Rest
>> room break etc.   I have a wrap around porch that looks out on the
>> lake and Mt Scott.  I thought we might do the first writing here
>> and then move onto Medicine Park.

>>  Cobble stone houses etc.  -Old Plantation- swinging bridge in
>> Medicine Park.  Good walking area.
>>>
>>> #3 Holy City of the Wichitas  This is where the Passion Play will
>>> take place about 8:00 Pm, at twilight.  They tell me it is over
>>> at 10:30.  If you want to stay bring chairs, blankets, hats,
>>> etc.  It takes place on audience Hill and has been continuously
>>> acted for many, many years

>>> Mt Scott has a winding road to the top.  The view is spectacular
>>> so that should be on the route.  There are rocks and bolders
>>> there that I think you could sit on for a writing.  I am not
>>> comfortable driving up MT Scott but hopefully someone else is
>>> cause it is great!  You could bring binoculars for viewing wild
>>> life, etc.

>>>     There is a great visitors center -with short film history of
>>> area etc.
>>>
>>> #6 Lunch at The Winery or another restaurant in the area.  Old
>>> Plantation is restored and bigger.  Riverside Cafe looks out on
>>> the ducks and fish in Medicine Creek.  The Music Hall may be
>>> open.  Wear walking shoes and cell phones may not work in The
>>> Wild LIfe Refuge-----Do Not go near the buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see you Saturday,
Lillian K. Johnson OWP'81