OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:21:12 -0800
[
http://ecnmedia.com/client_hosted/test/nhse-contest.jpg
][Image]

Dear Superintendents, Teachers and Friends of
Education:

I am thrilled to write you with exciting news for your
high school
students.

On January 16, 2006, The Oprah Show is doing something
WE’VE NEVER DONE
BEFORE.  In addition to announcing my new book club
selection—which I
promise is mandatory reading for every human being on
the planet—I will
also announce Oprah’s National High School Essay
Contest to accompany
it.

The essay contest will be based on the book I reveal
and will be open
high school students across America.  Then, based on
their essays, a
panel
of learned judges will select 50 high school students.
 Each finalist,
along with one designated parent or guardian, will
receive a trip to a
special Oprah Show taping in late February.

To support this nationwide initiative, my
website—Oprah.com—will offer
comprehensive study materials for students, teachers
and parents.  This
is
an important book that I hope will be discussed in
homes and schools
across the country.

To make this happen, I’ll need your help.  Please get
the word out to
your
students, their parents and teachers.

Remember, I will announce the title of the book that
I’ve chosen on the
air, Monday, January 16, 2006. So check your local
listings for times.
Immediately after that announcement, the essay contest
will begin.  The
deadline for entries is Monday, February 6, 2006, so
time is of the
essence.

For more details on Oprah’s National High School Essay
Contest go to
Oprah.com.  We’re hoping to get as many students and
educators involved
as
possible.  Thank you for working with us.

Finally, please accept my heartfelt gratitude for all
you do to make
education a priority in your circle of influence.
I applaud you for this important work.

Here’s to Books! Happy Holidays!

[ http://ecnmedia.com/client_hosted/test/oprah-sig.jpg
][Image]

For a printer friendly version click on the link
below:

[
http://ecnmedia.com/client_hosted/test/Essay_Contest_Letter.doc

]Essay