OWP Archives

Oklahoma Writing Project

OWP@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janis Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:26:23 -0800
Teachers--

Our Showcase for Administrators and brunch is planned
for February 9.  This is so important because we plan
to let administrators,  curriculum coordinators, and
staff development chairmen find out what OWP has to
offer schools and districts.

Please, please pass the word to the appropriate
persons in your district.

You'll be receiving the attached flyer in the mail
this week.
But don't wait.  Please print the attachment and
encourage your administrators to come to the brunch.

We hope to have 75 administrators there.

Thanks for your help.

Janis

Flyer:

Because Writing Matters . .

Dear Administrator or Staff Development Chairman:

As an administrator in a progressive Oklahoma school
district, I know you’re constantly searching for ways
to improve student learning in your district or
school.  We at the Oklahoma Writing Project share in
your desire to improve the teaching and learning in
your district.

Carl Nagan, in his book Because Writing Matters:
Improving Student Writing in Our Schools, makes the
case that students need to write more across all
content areas and that schools need to expand their
writing curricula to involve students in a range of
writing tasks.  Because writing is an important
component of No Child Left Behind legislation,
Oklahoma’s PASS objectives and state assessments, and
now the ACT, the time is ripe for improving the
teaching of writing in our schools. As you know, NCLB
funds, Title I and Title II funds may be used to pay
for OWP Staff Development.

With these issues in mind, the Oklahoma Writing
Project is hosting a Showcase of Inservice
Opportunities to explore the ways the Writing Project
might help schools improve the teaching of writing and
the writing performance of students. In a series of
snippets from our teacher consultants’ presentations,
we will highlight specific programs offered by OWP
focused on improving writing and writing to learn in
Oklahoma schools. Please join us for this exciting
morning and be our guests for a free brunch.

Oklahoma Writing Project
Showcase of Inservice Opportunities
and Brunch
February 9, 2005  ~  9:00-11:30 a.m.
Ballroom, Oklahoma Memorial Union
University of Oklahoma

Please call me at (405) 495-4903 or e-mail
[log in to unmask]  to register.   For