PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 15:14:13 -0500
Dear Will Prescott,

As a result of some of my frustrations with my PW Capstone class this semester, I talked with some fellow students and drew up some consensus opinions about what undergraduate students need in a capstone course. I talked to the dean informally instead of presenting the list, but I thought I would offer it to you if it helps.

Aside from what I've included in the attachment, I've felt that the PW program lacks presence in the college. To remedy this, I think all PW students should be required to send out something for publishing. I think the Intro course or the Short story course should spend a few classtime preparing something to send out for publishing. If this is done early enough in the semester, everyone should receive a letter rejecting or accepting their piece. It would be a great way to break into the publishing world, and those who receive rejection letters also learn a valueable lesson: they won't die from rejection!

The PW program also needs to seek internships for PW students and encourage students to intern. I didn't get an internship, because I couldn't find any available that weren't either news writing, pr, or broadcast. The same was true at the last Journalism Job Fair. I know there are some magazines in the city, and I'd imagine Sooner Magazine would hire student interns for research if they don't already. Perhaps they do, but that information was not easily available.

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes.

-Lauren Kula