PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 22:23:18 -0500
I'm glad everyone is showing their teeth about this editorial bull. I'm sure the "Our Views" section will be full of pwnage tomorrow.

To the Opinion Editor,

I'm sorry to hear that apparently all of you at the Daily feel neglected by the Gaylord College of Journalism. I know that the Daily is the finest college daily newspaper in the state, and I've enjoyed reading the paper with my lunch these past four years. But I nearly choked on my turkey sandwich when your Wednesday editorial called my major a "farce."

Aside from being insulting to the work I have done, it is an unfounded accusation. Professional writing maybe be hanging out on the wings of the Journalism stage, but we don't need anyone holding our hands to get plenty of work done. Our professors give us the freedom to research and write in the genre of our choice, but they have the experience and insight to help us polish and publish our work. The only students who may consider the program a farce either don't ask the right questions or don't put in the work to cut it in the Gaylord College of Journalism.

The bottom line is if you were trying to piss people off to draw attention to your lack of funding, then you just shot yourselves in the foot. I'm sure that "bunch of corporate suits and grinning old men" won't trip over themselves to throw bone to an ungrateful bunch of students saying, "It's not fair! They got a bigger piece of the pie than us!"

Sorry to kick the soapbox out from under your feet, but if you need funding, reach out to private investors. Consider recruiting some public relations students who aren't pissed off about that PR-is-the-opposite-of-journalism remark. I'm sure your inbox is already swamped with responses to this editorial, and I'm positive many of them are from professional writing students. I hope you enjoy reading them (chances are good they will bring some zest to the opinion page), and consider why people would take the time to respond with finals just around the corner.

-Lauren Kula, professional writing senior