PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
William Prescott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:58:40 -0700
Dear All,

PWA still hasn't met this semester. I vote we do so
soon. My personal preference is sometime between
Thursday - Sunday.

This week is probably too short of notice. Any
preferences for Thursday, Oct. 19th to Sunday, October
22nd?

Where should we meet? Bookstore? The PW lounge in
Copeland Hall?

OTHER ISSUES

1. PW LOUNGE

Based on our meeting with the Deans last fall, we have
a room allocated to PW students now. It is in Copeland
Hall: we have bookshelves, deks, etc. Unfortunately,
you need a key to open it, so access is tricky.

Still, we need to use this resource. The Deans are
still under the impression that PW students don't need
resources - books, additional faculty, screenplays,
DVDs, etc -- because all we need is "time to write."

We finagled this space, and even though it is far from
perfect, we need to use it.  Otherwise, we risk
confirming their suspicions that the PW department
doesn't need more resources.

Speaking of resources...

2. LENDING LIBRARY

OU's libraries do not have popular fiction novels.
Public libraries often have long waiting lists.

Prof. Chester suggested that we donate any unwanted
novels to the PW Lounge and create our own lending
library. The shelves are there. We just need to fill
them.

We could also do this...

3. NORMAN LIBRARY BOOK SALE

Every year the Norman Library sells off books at
minimal cost. The last day of the sale, the let you
stuff as many books as you can in a large grocery bag
and sell it to you for $3.

If we could get a group of us to go, we could stock a
lending library easily. Even better, if we go armed
with those handy dandy readers guides from Category
Fiction, we could stock up on well-crafted fiction.

The info for the sale:

3:00 PM  -  8:00 PM
Annual Friends of the Norman Public Library Booksale -
Bag Sale
Contact: Susan Gregory   405-701-2620
Bag sale - bag of books for $3.00 - we provide the
bag.

4. FUTURE DIRECTIONS

We need to devise future goals and keep organizing and
pushing for more resources, faculty, and attention.
Any ideas on how to proceed are needed and perhaps we
can discuss this at our next meeting.

5. Reading Club

Prof. Chester frequently mentions in class that we
need to keep reading fiction to stoke our
imaginations.

I am starting some impromptu reading club. Nothing
formal. Just pick a fiction novel every couple of week
and analyze how it was crafted.

(Note the emphasis on "craft" i.e. plates,
viewpoint,etc. -- if I have to sit through any more
presumptous philosophical rambling sessions
masquerading as book clubs, I'll lose it.)

We could meet and discuss the over coffee, beer,
whatever. I know we are all busy, so I would like to
pace it so you'd only have to read 20 pages or so a
day.

Right now, this writing club consists of me. If
interested in joining, either write to the listserv or
e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

William D. Prescott

University of Oklahoma

office no. 405-325-2710