PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Deborah Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Open discussions on the writer's craft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:13:32 -0600
Greetings, fellow writers --

Here's the situation:

I have over 100 novels collected in my office and we need a group decision as to what to do with them.  The American Library Association has decided it's not going to collect books at this time to restock libraries in the affected states.  The ALA's rationale is that destroyed library buildings need to be rebuilt first.

That leaves us with a couple of alternatives:
   1) We donate the books once more through the assistance of Barnes & Noble.
   2) We keep the books for a sale to raise funds for PWA.

It seems to me that because we collected the present books under the "help Katrina victims" banner that we should try to donate them as an ethical action. Can someone check with B&N to see if they'll help us again?  We can also send the books for distribution to hurricane victims through other local charities, if necessary.

Then if we decide to collect future books for our own fund-raising purposes, or even to share among ourselves, we can do so.

Let me know what you all think.
DC

Deborah Chester
Professor
Professional Writing
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK  73019-2051
Ph: (405) 325-4192