PWA-L Archives

PWA Inside Talk

pwa-l@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
Amy Frost <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PWA Inside Talk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 16:41:29 -0500
Here's mine... a little more harsh.  Let me know what you think before I send it in.

            Your disrespect for your own college is disgusting.  I say "your" instead of "you all" because even though you refer throughout your article about what "we think", I don't think that true journalists would want to be associated with your opinion.  I find that you should have been studying up on your own "journalism" then wasting time writing your horrendous editorial.

            Firstly, the Gaylord family has presented money not for the journalism college as a whole, but for the journalism building.  Perhaps this is something that you don't understand.  Let me explain.  If you were to write a check with a large sum of money on it (which, with the way you write I doubt you ever will), then you would want to make sure that your money is put where you want it to go.  I'm sure the Gaylord family would prefer to build a piece of architectural art instead of sending money towards a newspaper with flaws that are so incredible that a journalism professor would mock them in class.

            Moving Student Media, The Daily particularly, to the Gaylord building will do nothing for the advancement of your own "journalism" but give you a window to look out of when you're coming up with ridiculous editorials.  You don't hear other students complaining that their classes aren't in their respected buildings.  I have History of Journalism in Nielsen, for example.  And how many colleges have to share God-forsaken Dale Hall?  At least Copeland dedicates most of its first floor to your precious Student Media.  You have the equipment that you need, and you would probably be provided with more if the "journalism" in The Daily were deemed worthy of such attention.

            Also the classrooms at Gaylord aren't big enough for a lot of classes, mostly under the specific "journalism" major because of the size of the program.  My advice to you is give the little guys a chance.  You have a whole lab for just the newspaper and offices just for Student Media, shouldn't you be rooting for the other majors that need the same development?

Your concerns are trivial when compared to others within the program.  Professional Writing lacks professors; you lack a class on page design?  But I'm sure you can pick that up at The Daily since it is such a great place to learn about "real journalism".

If you are not getting any response from posting flyers in Gaylord pertaining to working for The Daily, then take a hint.  Save some paper, move the flyers to Dale or Copeland.

            Your statement, "The Daily is the most practical place on campus both to learn and to experience journalism" is a farce in itself.

            Journalism is defined by Merriam-Webster as:

"a: Writing designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine b : writing characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation c : writing designed to appeal to current popular taste or public interest"

            Now I don't know about you, but that seems pretty broad to me.  So does the term "mass communication" which you so nicely left out of your article.  The fact that you would consider "journalism" to mean only writing for a newspaper is a sham.  I believe that Professional Writing fits under the category of definition "c".  So why not experience journalism other places besides the office of The Daily?  Crack a book open for once!  (It won't hurt you, I promise.)  And if you don't consider Professional Writing or Public Relations to be journalism, then at least seem them as mass communication.

If you are in History of Journalism right now you'll hear Dr. Greenwood talk about what journalism is.  Journalism can be anything.  Blogs, television shows, newspapers, magazines, books, you name it.  So why has such a narrow mind as to think it only means the publication of a newspaper?

            You say that you aren't receiving course credit for writing editorials for the paper.  Gee, I wonder why not?  Probably because you are attempting to defame your own college!  That and your unstructured arguments would most likely receive a failing grade in any class.

            I'll bet the prime reason why Dean Foote doesn't give you assistance is because he doesn't even dare to pick up a copy of The Daily for fear of an editorial like yours causing him to become sick to his stomach.

            Your "fact" about Gaylord College not helping with you and your education is indeed not a fact.  The Gaylord College has done all it can for you (with little to no avail), just because you don't have a class in the Gaylord building doesn't mean that the college isn't helping you.

         My closing advice is that you shut your mouth and open your eyes.  Look at the Mac in front of you.  Look at the photography equipment that is stored over by the break room.  Look at all the offices that surround you.  Then you can ask, "Is the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication helping me work towards a career and further my education?"  The answer?  Yes, now it would be nice if you took full advantage of these resources and professors instead of wasting your time writing pointless editorials.